This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

STARBOUND is = early access done right

#21Zmapper33Posted 12/24/2013 9:12:26 AM
Early Access is not a pre-order. Early access has no incentive to finish the game once they get your money. Pre-orders don't even take the money until the product actually comes out. If a game is projected to sell to 50,000 people and it releases in early access and sells to 50,000 people or anywhere near that do you really think they'll finish the game when they've already got your money? Why? So they can generate the extra couple hundred orders that they'll get by finishing it? No they'll drop it and start on a new project under a new company name. Early access as it is now is stupid for the consumer. Almost makes me want to go make 20% of a game so I can become a millionaire with no work like I can assure you a lot of early access devs have planned.
#22mjc0961Posted 12/24/2013 9:12:37 AM
Dawnshadow posted...
The_Weeaboo posted...
Only right way to do Early Access is to not do it at all.

Think of it as being a preorder with a bonus that lets you play the game while the developers are polishing it up, if you choose to-- you get a look into the design process. If you want to wait until release, you can-- no one is forcing you to buy it months ahead of time.

Okay. But it's a crap preorder bonus where you might not even get the finished game because the devs might say "f*** it, we got everyone's money, no reason to finish it now."

Early access needs to die in a fire, and sooner rather than later.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#23PlanescapedPosted 12/24/2013 9:19:07 AM
Early access often makes me nervous, as I just always perceive it as them having financial problems and needing a new and immediate inflow of cash before bankruptcy.
---
The clouds pass... the rain does its work and all individual beings flow into their forms." The Book of Changes
#24ClouddxPosted 12/24/2013 9:20:50 AM
Starbound is great. The devs actually listen to people, and they are on track as far as adding everything they've been promising.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#25arleasPosted 12/24/2013 9:33:03 AM
no one is forcing you to buy it

This argument doesn't work on the Early Access haters. They think it shouldn't be available for anyone, they're mad that it takes up "valuable space" on steam's sale pages, and/or they're just of the opinion that it's a scam/cash grab or whatever and therefore nobody should have an early access game.

Early access needs to die in a fire

See? If you don't believe in it, just don't buy it. The more people who feel that way, the less attractive the idea is to developers. If everyone likes the idea and you don't, then guess what? You lose. Or actually you don't because you're not buying it anyway, right?

Early access often makes me nervous, as I just always perceive it as them having financial problems and needing a new and immediate inflow of cash before bankruptcy.

OR it could just be that they can make a game even better without having to worry about money as a "deadline". e.g. "I have to release the game by July of this year because at that point I'm out of money". So sure, the game will be "finished" but how much was rushed or cut to make it fit that deadline?

But the main thing to remember is:
no one is forcing you to buy it months ahead of time.

---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#26SinfullyvannilaPosted 12/24/2013 9:41:11 AM(edited)
mjc0961 posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...
I wouldn't call having your progress repeatedly wiped done right. That's just my opinion. I stopped playing until that slows down..

That's because it isn't. This is why we should wait until games are finished before buying them.

They kinda have to do that stuff in an alpha/beta. If they didn't, they wouldn't be able to make certain changes as needed. Not wiping stuff would be doing it wrong.

Alpha/beta phases are required and by definition sub-optimal.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#27xLexLuth0rxPosted 12/24/2013 9:37:53 AM
ITT: Wipes happen on a constant basis.
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#28Benjamin_Button(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2013 9:46:07 AM
ghostwarrior79 posted...

Why'd you remove ME from your friends list?! WHY! I thought we was allies!

because ur sig is lie
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#29Ness0123456789Posted 12/24/2013 10:08:59 AM
ATARIJAWA posted...
I wouldn't call having your progress repeatedly wiped done right. That's just my opinion. I stopped playing until that slows down..

I don't think you understand what a Beta Test is.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#30Aqua69696Posted 12/24/2013 11:06:14 AM
Ness0123456789 posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...

I don't think you understand what a Beta Test is.

I don't think you do. Beta's are mainly for bug fixing and balancing, wipes in Beta's aren't that common.

Alpha's are the ones where wipes should be common, as gameplay elements are still being added.
---
But there's still tomorrow Forget the sorrow And I can be on the Last Train Home
Watch it pass the day As it fades away No more time to care No more time Today