This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do the Splinter Cell games on Steam have any hang ups with Uplay or anything?

#1Cesare_BorgiaPosted 12/24/2013 9:59:13 AM
Alternate title: Is there any reason not to pick up the Splinter Cell collection (besides highly subjective opinions on the quality of the games)?

I hear a lot of good things about the series, but I've also heard a good deal of horror stories concerning the PC versions.
#2DiviDudePosted 12/24/2013 10:11:17 AM(edited)
The only one that gave me any issues was Double Agent. At a couple of points, the controls simply failed outright and I was unable to proceed. One was while trying to create (or disarm? It's been a while) some landmines or something pretty early on in the game, and the other was while trying to open a locked safe. I eventually got past each. (If I recall correctly, I think the key was to slow movement speed all of the way down before attempting each.)
#3kingoffpsPosted 12/24/2013 10:11:18 AM
So as far as I can remember, Conviction and Blacklist both require uPlay. But this has never caused me any problems. You have to actually tie it to a uPlay account even if it's the Steam version btw, so don't lose your uPlay credentials.

Ok so in terms of the actual games, going backwards from the most recent:

Blacklist plays perfectly I think. Conviction too.

Double Agent is a pretty bad port, but should run fine on a modern PC. You might have to edit an ini file to get a high resolution though. And also if you struggle with operating in-game devices, remember to scroll the mouse wheel upwards. Other than this the game should work fine.

Chaos Theory is flawless I think. Also potentially the best one in the series other than Blacklist :)

The first two games (SC and SC: Pandora Tomorrow) should run with no problems but again you might have to fiddle it with patches or inis to get more modern resolutions. There is also something that you have to edit (I think an ini) to get the shadows working properly. Though I think Pandora Tomorrow isn't available on Steam actually..? So all of this applies to only the first SC game.

They are very good games.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#4kingoffpsPosted 12/24/2013 10:13:13 AM
DiviDude posted...
The only one that gave me any issues was Double Agent. At a couple of points, the controls simply failed outright and I was unable to proceed. One was while trying to create (or disarm? It's been a while) some landmines or something pretty early on in the game, and the other was while trying to open a locked safe. I eventually got past each. (If I recall correctly, I think the key was to slow movement speed all of the way down before attempting each.)

The key was to increase movement speed to the maximum actually I think. In that the game didn't register input to in-game technology when you were at the slowest. It was just lazy porting basically as they tried to map analog sticks literally to keyboard movement. (which requires the scroll wheel to adjust speed, but they didn't account for minigames properly)
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#5DiviDudePosted 12/24/2013 10:27:39 AM
kingoffps posted...
The key was to increase movement speed to the maximum actually I think. In that the game didn't register input to in-game technology when you were at the slowest. It was just lazy porting basically as they tried to map analog sticks literally to keyboard movement. (which requires the scroll wheel to adjust speed, but they didn't account for minigames properly)

Ah, well I had the right idea anyway. The game was strong but yeah it really does have "bad port" written all over it.