This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mass Effect (Steam version) won't start on new computer

#1LordOfLegaciesPosted 12/25/2013 1:47:27 AM
I've got the Steam version of Mass Effect and I can't get it to start.
I launch the game and I get a message that "Mass Effect has stopped working" before anything else happens.
It gives me the option to either "Close the program", or "Close the program and check online for a solution".
I looked it up and saw a lot of people were having problems with it on Windows 7. None matched my scenario exactly, most of them just launch the game and nothing happens.
I verified the game cache, no luck.
The most common suggestion I read online was to run it in XP compatibility mode. Tried it, nothing.
I'm having trouble finding info on my specific problem and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Thanks in advance.
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#2-CJF-Posted 12/25/2013 2:17:16 AM
Haven't had this problem myself, but here's some things to try after some googling:

- Uninstall the game, and install in a directory that isn't program files(x86) such as C:\Mass Effect or C:\games.

- Set the game to run as Administrator.

- Delete the saves folder (my documents/bioware) NOTE: You will lose any save games. Backup the folder somewhere before trying this.

- Try adding the game to DEP.
#3Zin_LGPosted 12/25/2013 4:16:23 AM
If I remember correctly I had to run game as administrator to get it to start.
---
Backlog progress: PS3- 26/43, 360 - 4/8, PSP- 14/48, PC ??/??
Recent completes - Heavy Rain :DC, Bastion, L.A. Noire, Assassin's Creed 2, NIER, Dante's Inferno
#4LordOfLegacies(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2013 12:32:30 PM
-CJF- posted...
Haven't had this problem myself, but here's some things to try after some googling:

- Uninstall the game, and install in a directory that isn't program files(x86) such as C:\Mass Effect or C:\games.

- Set the game to run as Administrator.

- Delete the saves folder (my documents/bioware) NOTE: You will lose any save games. Backup the folder somewhere before trying this.

- Try adding the game to DEP.

Zin_LG posted...
If I remember correctly I had to run game as administrator to get it to start.

It's the Steam version so I can't install the game in a different directory and I already run everything as administrator so no luck.
---
#5ShubPosted 12/25/2013 12:36:03 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
It's the Steam version so I can't install the game in a different directory and I already run everything as administrator so no luck.

You can create a new Steam library under something like C:\Steam so it's not under C:\Program Files (x86) and then install the game in the new library.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6LordOfLegacies(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2013 1:08:27 PM
Turned off UAC and that did it. Thanks everyone.
---
#7doctoglethorpePosted 12/25/2013 1:14:14 PM
Theres a problem with the retail version a lot of people encounter that was fixed in an official patch. The way they did the patch through their website was pretty old school, the Steam version might not carry it. I would suggest checking that out.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/me1/pc/updates/index.html