This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many years before OLED becomes a standard for monitors?

#11Son Of SpamPosted 12/26/2013 10:16:54 PM
While the end of the Sony/Panasonic partnership hurts, I'm not going to call it the end until Samsung and LG call it quits on OLED.

The biggest issue facing OLED right now is production yield. Theoretically, OLED will be even cheaper to manufacture than LCD and plasma. However, right now the manufacturing process of OLED is leading to a very large failure rate.

I sure do hope OLED comes soon though. Plasma looks to be near the end of the line now, and LCD just hasn't caught up to it in terms of picture quality. Sharp came really close with their Elite TVs, but they discontinued those and haven't tried to match the Elite TVs since.
#12SUPER3METROIDXPosted 12/27/2013 1:33:22 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
I haven't kept up with the tech of OLED much but isn't there still degradation over time? Might not be ideal for color critical work after some time.

If they do start making consumer OLED displays, they'll probably do the same thing they do with phones and make everything ridiculous and extremely over saturated to make it look "better" and make other more accurate displays look washed out in comparison to rope in unsuspecting consumers.
#13Combo MasterPosted 12/27/2013 2:53:40 AM
Maybe never because of the burn in and image retention issues. There is a reason plasmas are not used for monitors you know.
---
Combo Master
#14Skul_Posted 12/27/2013 3:10:25 AM
Yeah my Super AMOLED phone has black spots all over it, only viewable at night on a black screen, but it could possibly be a problem.
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#15Bellum_SacrumPosted 12/27/2013 3:34:17 AM
OLED is a gimmick at best. The image quality is great but exposure to natural light and humidity accelerate degradation, which is already pretty bad. It's only good for devices you don't plan on keeping for more than like 2 years.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#16elitelmoPosted 12/27/2013 10:51:30 AM
Never.
---
Hydreigoon: Are you seriously tipping? The only thing that you should be tipping is your fedora
http://i.imgur.com/fQ2gXik.gif
#17MaxCHEATER64Posted 12/31/2013 6:36:20 PM
Never. Frankly, I'm VERY surprised that Sony was audacious enough to use OLED in the Vita, it puts a timer on the lifespan of their systems the likes of which doesn't exist for any other system (my original Game Boy Color still works if I could find batteries for it).
---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#18darkstar4221Posted 12/31/2013 6:59:28 PM(edited)
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
I think OLEDs are expected to be commonplace by 2016.

The majority of Americans (and people around the world) are still trying to adapt to 1080p. I believe the DMCA law screwed up the transition from standard definition to hi-def.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/death-by-dmca
#19Bazooka_PenguinPosted 12/31/2013 7:00:13 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
I think OLEDs are expected to be commonplace by 2016.

The majority of Americans (and people around the world) are still trying to adapt to 1080p. I believe the DMCA law screwed up the transition from standard definition to hi-def.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/death-by-dmca

For the life of me I will never understand why American politics is pretty much ruled by greedy, self-serving old farts who are ignorant of what they actually do. I can't even believe people argue in the favor of politicians when they should be reviled.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#20AdmiralBisonPosted 1/5/2014 5:14:23 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
I haven't kept up with the tech of OLED much but isn't there still degradation over time? Might not be ideal for color critical work after some time.

Yeah that's true I read some where the color for OLED degrades and can't be replaced, that's what turned me off about OLED
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?