This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

couple questions about hdmi-hdmi mini.

#1RawePosted 12/25/2013 1:33:45 PM
First off does it matter when connecting from my tv to pc if its 1.3 or 1.4a. Also, if I have a hdmi mini hooked up from my pc to my tv, but also a hdmi from my pc to my monitor, can I switch one off so only one is on?
---
PS3 - Wii - 360 - PSP - PC Gamer
Intel i5-2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Rev - EVGA GTX 570 - 8GB G.SKILL RipJaws X DDR3 1600MHZ
#2PraetorXynPosted 12/25/2013 2:23:35 PM
It's not even possible to know the HDMI version except for features like ethernet that were added in later versions because manufacturers aren't allowed to print that information.

HDMI out to the TV would only be used when the TV was on that source.

Never use HDMI to monitors. It's meant for TV. If you have DisplayPort use that, and otherwise use Dual Link DVI-D.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#3Rawe(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2013 2:52:50 PM
Oh right my bad I think I use DVI for my monitor. Im sorry but what do you mean by using the tv as an out source? Im wondering if I can control which display to only be showing/on, if both my tv and monitor are on.
---
Intel i5-2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Rev - EVGA GTX 570 - 8GB G.SKILL RipJaws X DDR3 1600MHZ
#4PraetorXynPosted 12/25/2013 7:38:20 PM
Rawe posted...
Oh right my bad I think I use DVI for my monitor. Im sorry but what do you mean by using the tv as an out source? Im wondering if I can control which display to only be showing/on, if both my tv and monitor are on.

Your TV will act as a secondary monitor; when you right click on your desktop and go to Screen Resolution, you can pick whether you want the desktop to be on both displays, only on display 1, or only on display 2.

The thing is, you'll only be seen as using dual monitors by Windows when the TV is on the correct input; for example I have a 15" HDMI cable out from my PC to HDMI 2 port on my TV. The TV has to be on HDMI 2 before anything is actually sent from the PC to the TV.

Your PC monitor will flicker every time you turn the TV on though because it's checking to see if you switched the TV to the correct source.
---
#5Rawe(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2013 7:57:30 PM(edited)
Ok cool so I need to have it on the correct input on the tv. So it is easy to just switch between the two. I can have my pc going with display, then my ps3 with a game on. Then if i want to play a game on my pc thru my tv but shut my monitor off, I can just switch it thru screen resolution. Does yours support 4:4:4 chroma? What model of tv do you own?
---
#6PraetorXynPosted 12/25/2013 8:36:19 PM
If in the multi monitor setup you tell it to only show the desktop on display 2, then yes it will black out your monitor while you're using the TV. If you duplicate or share the display, you'll use the TV as a second monitor and can drag videos over to it before maximizing them.

My TV doesn't even do 1080P as it's a cheap Sanyo 26" I've had for years.
---
#7Loserman15Posted 12/25/2013 8:39:14 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
It's not even possible to know the HDMI version except for features like ethernet that were added in later versions because manufacturers aren't allowed to print that information.

Never use HDMI to monitors. It's meant for TV. If you have DisplayPort use that, and otherwise use Dual Link DVI-D.

HDMI and DVI signals are the exact same for most purposes.
#8AsellusPosted 12/25/2013 8:58:39 PM
You can enable or disable the use of either screen freely in your video card control panel. You might also consider just cloning the display on both so you can use them interchangeably but that might require their resolutions to match, not quite sure there.
#9PraetorXynPosted 12/26/2013 5:54:28 AM
Loserman15 posted...
PraetorXyn posted...

HDMI and DVI signals are the exact same for most purposes.

Dual Link DVI has more bandwidth for one thing. But my point was that HDMI is an interface designed from the ground up to connect TV's and Blu-Ray players etc. DVI and DisplayPort were designed from the ground up to connect PC's to monitors.
---