This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Finally finished Alan Wake after starting it a year ago

#11calcyclePosted 12/25/2013 6:19:41 PM
The atmosphere of the forest was great. The trees in the distance were very spooky.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#12ryan0991Posted 12/25/2013 6:21:14 PM(edited)
I loved the entire game. So much so that I played through it two more times. I even really enjoyed the combat.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#13DiviDudePosted 12/25/2013 6:22:31 PM
I agree with TC, I give it a straight C.
#14Bazooka_Penguin(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2013 6:24:46 PM(edited)
calcycle posted...
The atmosphere of the forest was great. The trees in the distance were very spooky.

I've seen a lot of people praise the atmosphere but the moon pretty much makes the game look like it's set in daytime with a blue sun. It certainly didn't spook me at all; everything was too "mild" or moderate, very little contrast.

Oh, and the "jump scares" are hilarious. Every time something "unexpected" happens they play a sharp note as if it's supposed to be shocking. It's almost hilarious.

The things the Taken say are really hilarious though. I don't think normal people would even go around saying slogans like "Fishing can be a hobby and a job!" (paraphrased).
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#15MonkeymagePosted 12/25/2013 6:24:16 PM
I thought it got better as it went along, especially with The Signal and The Writer DLC. But yeah, initially, the game was repetitive as hell, and I only kept playing because of the story. I did enjoy the concert/stage defense level though.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#16SlaynPosted 12/25/2013 6:36:45 PM
I thought the game was great, but the DLC seemed like a really bad afterthought.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#17Golden_GonadsPosted 12/25/2013 6:40:46 PM
I played through the first... Chapter? And found it thoroughly dull. The story may have potential - It was genuinely creepy, but the gameplay... Ye gads the gameplay.... That was beyond atrocious.
#18SkilzMCPosted 12/25/2013 6:44:28 PM
Golden_Gonads posted...
I played through the first... Chapter? And found it thoroughly dull. The story may have potential - It was genuinely creepy, but the gameplay... Ye gads the gameplay.... That was beyond atrocious.

See i can deal with mediocre game play for the sake of a good story, so I think I'll enjoy the rest of Alan Wake.
---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC