This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a gaming PC

#1ShadowHunterHQPosted 12/25/2013 8:06:56 PM
Hey, been putting alot of thought into it and was considering building my own pc for gaming, I don't have any real experience with it and never really gamed on a computer (I like controllers for gaming) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips to get me started, maybe something to build off of?
---
You know its been a good party if there's an open container of butter lying around
Gamer Tag: Penguin Justice
#2StonesFan16Posted 12/25/2013 8:07:34 PM
ShadowHunterHQ posted...
Hey, been putting alot of thought into it and was considering building my own pc for gaming, I don't have any real experience with it and never really gamed on a computer (I like controllers for gaming) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips to get me started, maybe something to build off of?

In the same boat as you.
---
Xbox Live GT: C dog 619
#3ShubPosted 12/25/2013 8:18:05 PM
There aren't a lot of ways to get started on building a computer. Put together a list of parts, buy them, then put them together :)
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4PokenubPosted 12/25/2013 8:21:25 PM
Buy some cheap parts and practice putting the computer together. you can watch all the videos in the world, but nothing beats actually experiencing it
---
XBOX 360 GT: Invghost
Not looking forward to any games now.
#5Ivany2008Posted 12/25/2013 8:27:46 PM(edited)
Far as i can tell(and i'm no expert as many will tell you on this board) the major components to invest in are the Video Card, Cpu, and the Motherboard.

Your going to want to have a minimum of 8 gigabytes of ram. I'm going to suggest the Ripjaws series of ram since the internet views it as a very good choice in ram. Instead of going with 2 sticks of 4 gigabytes of ram, go with 1 stick of 8 gigabytes of ram, this way you have options for expansion in the future instead of being forced into buying all new sticks of ram

A very good graphics card on the Geforce side is the GTX 770. Both Asus and MSI feature this brand. You can go with the 780 but it will cost you a bit more(I think around 100-150 dollars more) and it might just be cheaper to use the 770 instead and just double it up if you have the money. It costs around 340-380 dollars roughly depending on the different features you get in the version.

There's also Radeon, though I don't have any experience with Radeon cards myself. But its all about compatibility

As for motherboards, I have no clue what one to recommend. I've found that a good motherboard will only cost about 150 or so.

The CPU you have your choice between the Intel and AMD. For my build I went with Intel as it was compatible with the parts I chose. Then you have the choice(if you go with Intel) of the I5 or the I7. There isn't much difference between the two, though I've been told that the I5k is one of the better ones if you want to overclock

That's all I got lol. I probably wasn't helpful, but if I was I hope it relieved some stress.

Just remember to do research. No sense picking out all these parts and finding out that they aren't compatible, or that you could have bought better for cheaper.

Use this website to help you out a bit
http://pcpartpicker.com/

Fantastic website that many recommend, if only to keep your parts together and find out if everything is compatible. It also searches several popular websites and chooses the lowest price amongst the seven
#6CobraKingKillerPosted 12/25/2013 8:35:04 PM
It's a lot easier to help when people give budgets.
---
A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
- Wiegraf Folles
#7hatmann40Posted 12/25/2013 10:55:38 PM
Ivany2008 posted...
Instead of going with 2 sticks of 4 gigabytes of ram, go with 1 stick of 8 gigabytes of ram, this way you have options for expansion in the future instead of being forced into buying all new sticks of ram

Wrong mate, He would want 2x4gb sticks of ram because dual channel ram functions at faster speeds than single channel, aside from that ram really isn't that hard to upgrade.