This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just got an SSD, where can I find a good guide on how to install?

#1SkaterUBPosted 12/25/2013 8:46:18 PM
I also don't mind you guys helping me out. I would be installing it on the PC I am using now so I don't want to screw anything up.

What is the best guide to follow or tips you can offer.
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872
#2MasterDonGeroPosted 12/25/2013 8:51:05 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3popping4itPosted 12/25/2013 9:07:05 PM
just plug it in check in bios thats its being recognized.

putting windows on your ssd makes a HUGE difference so i would suggest reinstalling windows on the ssd. and keep music movies etc on your old drive. installing games to the ssd also makes a huge difference but ssd are short on space so you'll have to manage your games.

if you have a samsung drive it comes bundled with really good software so you can just mirror your old drive but like i said before maybe you dont want to put everything on that drive. clean install is preferable imo.
---
whens mahvel?
#4SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2013 9:19:54 PM
popping4it posted...
just plug it in check in bios thats its being recognized.

putting windows on your ssd makes a HUGE difference so i would suggest reinstalling windows on the ssd. and keep music movies etc on your old drive. installing games to the ssd also makes a huge difference but ssd are short on space so you'll have to manage your games.

if you have a samsung drive it comes bundled with really good software so you can just mirror your old drive but like i said before maybe you dont want to put everything on that drive. clean install is preferable imo.

Yea, I was planning on putting Windows on the SSD and a few games like Skyrim, but I'm not exactly sure how to transfer it over. I also don't want to lose everything if I do a fresh install. It is a Samsung SSD also.
---
#5The_Count_FooPosted 12/25/2013 9:20:02 PM
Go into your bios and turn on achi mode for sata. Power off the computer and plug the ssd into your computer. Unplug all other drives except the ssd. Power on the computer and install windows. After installing Windows power off and plug your other drives in. Power back on and setup your other drives. Get drivers.
---
Divided by night...
#6SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2013 9:30:26 PM
The_Count_Foo posted...
Go into your bios and turn on achi mode for sata. Power off the computer and plug the ssd into your computer. Unplug all other drives except the ssd. Power on the computer and install windows. After installing Windows power off and plug your other drives in. Power back on and setup your other drives. Get drivers.

What data do I lose if I do this?
---
#7popping4itPosted 12/25/2013 9:44:22 PM(edited)
basically hes telling you to unplug the other drive so that you dont accidently wipe it.

but you shouldnt lose anything. your old drive will still have everything you had but that will be on your old drive.

once you install windows on your ssd it will be a clean new windows so you'll have to set everything up like you want it. copy stuff back from your other drive. before installing the ssd you can put some files on a flash drive from your old drive just in case. dont forget things like your passwords on your web browser or bookmarks if you dont cloud sync that kind of stuff.
---
whens mahvel?
#8castrejon04Posted 12/25/2013 9:42:26 PM
Clone your current HDD to the SSD and keep everything you already have.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#9ClouddxPosted 12/25/2013 9:44:35 PM
You can just copy/paste the games you want from your HDD to your SSD.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#10castrejon04Posted 12/25/2013 9:46:28 PM
Cloning a hardrive is the easiest way to transfer everything to the SSD. It only takes 10 mins and you'll be back to your current OS with all the settings and programs.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa