This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why does steam use 30% of my CPU when I'm playing a non-steam game?

#1halomonkey1_3_5Posted 12/26/2013 7:58:51 AM
It doesnt make sense. I can close the steam window and it'll go go down to 1-2%, but if I launch a non-steam game, until I close the window Steam will be using between 25% and 40% of my CPU.

Anyone know why? Its not a huge problem(because I can just close the Steam window), but it is annoying.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#2PokenubPosted 12/26/2013 8:05:33 AM
Because you don't have a good CPU?

Steam does nothing to mine.
---
XBOX 360 GT: Invghost
Not looking forward to any games now.
#3halomonkey1_3_5(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 8:18:35 AM
Pokenub posted...

I've got a 4670k OC'd to 4.3GHz.
---
The Greatest
#4PokenubPosted 12/26/2013 8:19:51 AM
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
Pokenub posted...

I've got a 4670k OC'd to 4.3GHz.

Ok, that's a bit more helpful to know, try either running as administrator or redownload steam.
---
XBOX 360 GT: Invghost
Not looking forward to any games now.
#5skillfactorPosted 12/26/2013 10:16:17 AM
30%!!! I'll be checking mine when I get home now. That definitely doesn't sound right.
---
i5 2500k (4.7 ghz) / Noctua NH D14 / MSI 780 Twin Frozr / 16 gb ram ddr3 1600 / Corsair 500R White
#6arleasPosted 12/26/2013 10:22:21 AM
Maybe it's the steam overlay conflicting with something else? Virtually every time I had trouble with steam it was the overlay conflicting with raptr (or xfire in the past) or something else...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#7halomonkey1_3_5(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 10:38:01 AM(edited)
arleas posted...
Maybe it's the steam overlay conflicting with something else? Virtually every time I had trouble with steam it was the overlay conflicting with raptr (or xfire in the past) or something else...

Well I thought it might be this, but closing the Steam window puts the CPU usage back to what I would expect. Opening the overlay doesnt seem to cause much change, so I dont think its tied to the overlay specifically. I also noticed the CPU usage went up even when I wasnt playing anything, so it may not have to do with playing non-steam games after all. It didnt seem to be tied to any function Steam was doing(I.E. it wasnt downloading anything, I wasnt messaging anyone, etc).

Regardless, I reinstalled Steam but I cant log in to see if its fixed because it seems to be down/having problems >.>
---
The Greatest
#8halomonkey1_3_5(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 12:53:35 PM
Well its still happening

I have narrowed it to down to something Steam does when viewing a library entry for non-steam games. If I leave it on a non-steam game, it jumps to 30%. Move back to a steam game, it drops to back 1-2%. Not sure why though.
---
The Greatest
#9arleasPosted 12/26/2013 1:41:23 PM
I have narrowed it to down to something Steam does when viewing a library entry for non-steam games. If I leave it on a non-steam game, it jumps to 30%. Move back to a steam game, it drops to back 1-2%. Not sure why though.

I just added "wordpad" as a non steam game to see if I could see this happening myself, and I'm not really seeing it. I used resource monitor to highlight steam's activity in the CPU graph (so if steam adds to the CPU usage significantly I can see the large orange graph against the green) and as I move from one library entry to another I see maybe 10% usage and this is from non-steam to steam library entry.

I'm also on the steam beta though I don't know if that would affect anything. Is it possible that steam is looking for stuff to display and can't find it? I mean, when I highlight a steam game, a background image shows up, recent news shows up, last time I've played it and total play time shows up next to the Play (or install) button. When I highlight the non-steam game all I get is the name/icon, last played (next to the play button) and no background picture.

It's not even using 30% of one core. Unless it's something specific to the non-beta version or unless it has to actually be a game and not just a program added to the non-steam games list, I can't see it happening on my computer.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#10halomonkey1_3_5(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 8:59:15 PM
To expand on this, It seems to have something to do with games that I have played(and steam has playtime/last played stats) vs games that dont have those stats(games I've not played)plus the occasional game thats just lacking a "last played" date) and non-Steam games). No idea why, and its fairly consistent(every game I've tested(out of about 50 total games) with no "Last Played" date causes CPU use to go up, every one with a "Last Played" date causes it to go down).
Not sure if this is just one of those odd glitches that effect almost no-one, or if changing a setting could fix it or what.

I'm gonna opt into the beta and see if that fixes it. At least now I know what (seems to be) causing this though.
---
The Greatest