This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is sRGB mode usually bad to chose for monitors?

#1castrejon04Posted 12/26/2013 11:38:51 AM
sRGB mode is suppose to give you the most accurate colors, but on my Asus MX 279H, while it looks great in photoshop, the whites just don't like white at all. I should just settle with standard mode and calibrate the settings right?
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#2MonkeymagePosted 12/26/2013 11:48:54 AM
Maybe your expectations for white are skewed. Maybe this is more of a philosophical question, or one of perception. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#3son_gogettoPosted 12/26/2013 3:19:48 PM
I just got that monitor about a week ago, and I've been wondering the same thing. sRGB doesn't look that great to me, the colours look standard, but everything is darker and has a sort of grey/green tint to it.

I'm currently just using the standard 'Splendid' setting, and occasionally the scenery mode.

Please let me know how you get on with your calibrations, because I don't really know what I'm doing lol. Brightness on 90-100 and contrast on 90 seem to do me well, anything higher seems to make it too vivid and overexposed. But anything lower than that and it starts to have that washed out, grey appearance that sRGB has. Are the Splendid settings even unique? Or are they just presets of brightness and contrast? I've noticed some let you edit the individual settings, while others will lock them.

By the way, turn that trace setting down to 0. it seems to have reduced ghosting a bit.
---
(GT: II Lazer II) - (PSN: ME GOOSTA) - (Steam ID: lilylazer666)
(3DS FC: 4339-3035-7150)
#4castrejon04(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 5:14:12 PM
son_gogetto posted...
I just got that monitor about a week ago, and I've been wondering the same thing. sRGB doesn't look that great to me, the colours look standard, but everything is darker and has a sort of grey/green tint to it.

I'm currently just using the standard 'Splendid' setting, and occasionally the scenery mode.

Please let me know how you get on with your calibrations, because I don't really know what I'm doing lol. Brightness on 90-100 and contrast on 90 seem to do me well, anything higher seems to make it too vivid and overexposed. But anything lower than that and it starts to have that washed out, grey appearance that sRGB has. Are the Splendid settings even unique? Or are they just presets of brightness and contrast? I've noticed some let you edit the individual settings, while others will lock them.

By the way, turn that trace setting down to 0. it seems to have reduced ghosting a bit.

I did a lot of series of test by checking out various scenes in movies, anime, and live shows. I performed some calibration test videos as well as some provided by real good website that is easy to follow.

These are my settings that worked out the best:

Splendid setting: Standard
Brightness: 70
Contrast: 80
Color Temp: User Mode (everything at 100)
Trace Free: 20

You can set the brightness to your preference, but 70 is just about right, not too low or too high. I think the brightness is the backlight since it doesn't seem to affect the black levels at all.

The contrast is perfect at 80 since I can actually distinguish all the shades of white base on this test:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

Check area 254, can you see the square pattern? You are supposed to barely see it. If you set the contrast to 80, it should display all the patterns. Play around with the contrast though just to see how important it is to set the contrast right. Yours set at 90 is way too high which pretty much erases all the test patterns. Set it too low and the same thing will occurred. 80 seems to work the best for this monitor assuming we got the same 27 inch model.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#5son_gogettoPosted 12/28/2013 12:23:13 PM
Thanks a lot , It's weird how that 78-82 area is the sweet spot for seeing that pattern , and anything else just kills it. How important is that though? All I've noticed is that the screen is now slightly washed out and not as vibrant. Where will seeing that pattern actually come in handy?
---
(GT: II Lazer II) - (PSN: ME GOOSTA) - (Steam ID: lilylazer666)
(3DS FC: 4339-3035-7150)
#6LordSeiferPosted 12/28/2013 12:44:40 PM
maybe what I think white looks like, actually looks like green, or tuna fish.
---
^ this
#7DragnfyrPosted 12/28/2013 12:49:31 PM
Most people are used to a bluish tinged white while an "accurate" white should be a bit more yellowish. Use it for a few weeks and the whites will look completely natural.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs