This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can't afford an SSD, here's an alternative.

#1cuteboi100Posted 12/26/2013 10:41:07 AM(edited)
Okay, so I considered getting an SSD but I concluded it was too expensive and it would be too inconvenient to move files onto the SSD when I'm using them then remove them when I'm not (to fix this I would have to get a large capacity SSD as a main drive).

So I am thinking of this, I will get a 4 or so smaller capacity hard drives 200GB or so and run them in RAID 0 and get very good performance. I know its provides more points for failure but I backup all of my important documents on the cloud anyways now so I don't care. Good idea? Anyone done it before?

Or would a conventional HDD with SSD cache be a better idea?
---
Attack Jet - Division 1 (World) | Fighter Jet - Division 1 (World)
Fighter Jet - Division 1 (Toronto), Rank #7
#2d209999Posted 12/26/2013 10:51:13 AM
You might as well just stick with what you have until you can afford a proper SSD. RAID 0 is pointless in this day and age.
---
*under construction*
#3Nightmare2398Posted 12/26/2013 10:57:10 AM
getting a 1tb hdd and a 128gb ssd is pretty cheap now, $60 for the hdd and $70 for the ssd... (on sale of course).
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)
#4exclusiveburnerPosted 12/26/2013 11:15:38 AM
Nightmare2398 posted...
getting a 1tb hdd and a 128gb ssd is pretty cheap now, $60 for the hdd and $70 for the ssd... (on sale of course).

Well if the name "cute boi" suggests anything it's that he's 10 years old and doesn't have a job. My advice...save your allowance and do it right the first time. Also four Hard Drives would cost more then a cheap SSD and wouldn't perform nearly as well. How much stuff could you possibly need on the SSD anyway? 120gb's is pretty significant for OS/Games. Figure 40 gigs for your OS, and the programs you run every single day, and three or four games on there that you frequently play. Unless you have very heavily modded games...make a sacrifice.
#5cuteboi100(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 11:19:39 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6fataliPosted 12/26/2013 11:20:46 AM
I would like to point out that you will not get 4X the performance of a raid 0 set up with 4 drives, as each of those 4 drives will have exactly the same seek time for any data, and only during data transmission they would speed things up.

Plus you will have 4x more chances of something going wrong and losing everything you have in all 4 drives.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#7cuteboi100(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 11:24:43 AM
fatali posted...
I would like to point out that you will not get 4X the performance of a raid 0 set up with 4 drives, as each of those 4 drives will have exactly the same seek time for any data, and only during data transmission they would speed things up.

Plus you will have 4x more chances of something going wrong and losing everything you have in all 4 drives.

I see, this is a very good point. I think I won't do it anymore now.
---
Attack Jet - Division 1 (World) | Fighter Jet - Division 1 (World)
Fighter Jet - Division 1 (Toronto), Rank #7
#8TheWayOfTheGunPosted 12/26/2013 12:16:32 PM
If you are that tight on a budget you can get a 64GB SSD for $50. Use to host your OS and you will see all the difference you need.

The gaming performance gained by an SSD is very underwhelming, to say the least.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#9ygfbvPosted 12/26/2013 5:28:54 PM(edited)
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
If you are that tight on a budget you can get a 64GB SSD for $50. Use to host your OS and you will see all the difference you need.

The gaming performance gained by an SSD is very underwhelming, to say the least.

This depends entirely on the game. Some games have obscene load times without an SSD, like Shogun II.

You'd also benefit in games like Skyrim or Fallout, which have major HDD stutter issues.
---
http://www.anime-planet.com/images/users/signatures/ygfbv.jpg
#10bkkorpsPosted 12/26/2013 6:11:21 PM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...

there is no reason to suggest a 64gig SSD for $50 when you can get double the space for not much more. plus with the extra capacity you have more peace of mind in not having to worry about running out of space. and with things like steammover, you can store all of your games on your HDD, and move over the ones you are playing at the moment to still benefit from the SSD loading speed.

so quit going to McDonalds for a week or two and you should save enough extra to jump to 120gig.
---
Religion is like circumcision. If you wait until someone is 21 to tell them about it, they probably won't be interested.