This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the best "rogue-like" games?

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 12/26/2013 2:32:40 PM
It's a genre I'd never really even heard about until recently, so I'm curious as to what the best examples of it are. I'm not sure what the definition is--top-down ARPG with no story and randomly-generated content? The only "rogue-like" games I've played are Rogue Legacy, which I absolutely LOVE (even if it is obscenely hard) and Sword of the Stars: The Pit.

Unless some of the other indie games I've tried are also rogue-likes (Terraria? Monaco? Dust? Cave Story? Don't Starve?) Like I said, I'm not too terribly clear on the proper definition. I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to know about other good games in the same vein as The Pit and Rogue Legacy.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2SlaynPosted 12/26/2013 2:34:01 PM
FTL is considered a rogue-like in nature. Regardless if you consider it part of the genre, it's a fantastic game.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#3BogePosted 12/26/2013 2:34:53 PM
It seems to me that "rogue-like" means nothing more than 1 life. Too many games are dubbed "rogue-like" these days.
---
And so he prophesied that the sheeple will follow the stupid, and the stupid will rule the Earth.
#4RPGMattPosted 12/26/2013 2:35:17 PM
Nethack.
---
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe
#5ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/26/2013 2:36:33 PM
Slayn posted...
FTL is considered a rogue-like in nature.

No it isn't.

Nethack
Tales of Maj'Eyal
DoomRL
#6kingoffpsPosted 12/26/2013 2:40:44 PM
Boge posted...
It seems to me that "rogue-like" means nothing more than 1 life. Too many games are dubbed "rogue-like" these days.

I think some degree of random level generation too? I'm not too sure as I don't know much about the genre.

I think Spelunky is considered roguelike.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#7ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/26/2013 2:46:04 PM
kingoffps posted...

Nope. Spelunky is a platformer. Roguelike is in the name. Like Rogue. If it's a completely different genre, then it's not a roguelike.

This new crap is just indie marketing nonsense. Stop perpetuating it. The genre is older than you are.
#8Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 2:50:05 PM
Ooh, glad to see I'm not alone in not knowing what the term means. I have played FTL and liked it a lot, even if it had way too little content.

I've heard good things about Tales of Maj'Eyal, so I'll probably check that one out next. Thanks.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#9kingoffpsPosted 12/26/2013 3:33:37 PM(edited)
ShadowThaReaper posted...
kingoffps posted...

Nope. Spelunky is a platformer. Roguelike is in the name. Like Rogue. If it's a completely different genre, then it's not a roguelike.

This new crap is just indie marketing nonsense. Stop perpetuating it. The genre is older than you are.

No need to be rude. You have no idea how old I am, and it is not relevant.

I merely pointed out that I *think* it is *considered* roguelike. Not that *I* consider it roguelike. I also admitted that I am not that familiar with the genre, so attacking me for upsetting your precious genre's classification is unreasonable.

Also, the fact that you admit there is "indie marketing nonsense" suggests that *some* people DO consider it to be the case.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#10ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/26/2013 2:53:29 PM
Also, the fact that you admit there is "indie marketing nonsense" suggests that *some* people DO consider it to be the case.

That doesn't mean that a 30 year old sub-genre gets changed all of a sudden. It's nothing but marketing to casuals who want to feel hardcore.