This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the best "rogue-like" games?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are the best "rogue-like" games?

User Info: Arsene-Lupin

Arsene-Lupin
3 years ago#1
It's a genre I'd never really even heard about until recently, so I'm curious as to what the best examples of it are. I'm not sure what the definition is--top-down ARPG with no story and randomly-generated content? The only "rogue-like" games I've played are Rogue Legacy, which I absolutely LOVE (even if it is obscenely hard) and Sword of the Stars: The Pit.

Unless some of the other indie games I've tried are also rogue-likes (Terraria? Monaco? Dust? Cave Story? Don't Starve?) Like I said, I'm not too terribly clear on the proper definition. I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to know about other good games in the same vein as The Pit and Rogue Legacy.
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#2
FTL is considered a rogue-like in nature. Regardless if you consider it part of the genre, it's a fantastic game.
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505

User Info: Boge

Boge
3 years ago#3
It seems to me that "rogue-like" means nothing more than 1 life. Too many games are dubbed "rogue-like" these days.
And so he prophesied that the sheeple will follow the stupid, and the stupid will rule the Earth.

User Info: RPGMatt

RPGMatt
3 years ago#4
Nethack.
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe

User Info: ShadowThaReaper

ShadowThaReaper
3 years ago#5
Slayn posted...
FTL is considered a rogue-like in nature.

No it isn't.

Nethack
Tales of Maj'Eyal
DoomRL

User Info: kingoffps

kingoffps
3 years ago#6
Boge posted...
It seems to me that "rogue-like" means nothing more than 1 life. Too many games are dubbed "rogue-like" these days.

I think some degree of random level generation too? I'm not too sure as I don't know much about the genre.

I think Spelunky is considered roguelike.
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...

ShadowThaReaper
3 years ago#7
kingoffps posted...

Nope. Spelunky is a platformer. Roguelike is in the name. Like Rogue. If it's a completely different genre, then it's not a roguelike.

This new crap is just indie marketing nonsense. Stop perpetuating it. The genre is older than you are.

User Info: Arsene-Lupin

Arsene-Lupin
3 years ago#8
Ooh, glad to see I'm not alone in not knowing what the term means. I have played FTL and liked it a lot, even if it had way too little content.

I've heard good things about Tales of Maj'Eyal, so I'll probably check that one out next. Thanks.
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."

User Info: kingoffps

kingoffps
3 years ago#9
ShadowThaReaper posted...
kingoffps posted...

Nope. Spelunky is a platformer. Roguelike is in the name. Like Rogue. If it's a completely different genre, then it's not a roguelike.

This new crap is just indie marketing nonsense. Stop perpetuating it. The genre is older than you are.

No need to be rude. You have no idea how old I am, and it is not relevant.

I merely pointed out that I *think* it is *considered* roguelike. Not that *I* consider it roguelike. I also admitted that I am not that familiar with the genre, so attacking me for upsetting your precious genre's classification is unreasonable.

Also, the fact that you admit there is "indie marketing nonsense" suggests that *some* people DO consider it to be the case.
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...

ShadowThaReaper
3 years ago#10
Also, the fact that you admit there is "indie marketing nonsense" suggests that *some* people DO consider it to be the case.

That doesn't mean that a 30 year old sub-genre gets changed all of a sudden. It's nothing but marketing to casuals who want to feel hardcore.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are the best "rogue-like" games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived