This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the best "rogue-like" games?

#21TheBlueDeathPosted 12/26/2013 5:32:40 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Steamster posted...
Refer to them as "rogue-lites."

Rogue-lite doesn't mean anything. It's a nonsensical term that casual kiddies want to use to feel hardcore. These games have nothing to do with Rogue.

You seem really angry and keep throwing out the whole "casual" thing.

Being a hardcore gamer doesn't get you good attention, as your love life probably shows from you being this damn hostile.
---
~~~~RED~~~~ ~~~~GREEN~~~~ ~~~~~BLUE~~~~~
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#22ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/26/2013 5:36:33 PM
TheBlueDeath posted...
You seem really angry

I can taste your tears through the text.
#23ChromaticAngelPosted 12/26/2013 5:44:20 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnarok_%28video_game%29

greatest Roguelike of all time

freeware, download it and play (requires DosBox)
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#24BogePosted 12/26/2013 7:53:02 PM
Don't listen to Shadow. He just likes to stir up crap. When I saw your quote of his, but didn't see his post above it, I got confused. Now I recall...he's on ignore. I suggest you do the same thing.
---
And so he prophesied that the sheeple will follow the stupid, and the stupid will rule the Earth.
#25QwelzaarKanePosted 12/29/2013 8:36:42 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Roguelite doesn't really mean much, and it doesn't say anything about the actual gameplay, like a real genre does.

It says more than most genres do.
---
Hide your wives and daughters, I'm spoiling my Irish quarter
#26arleasPosted 12/29/2013 10:51:48 PM(edited)
Don't listen to Shadow.

Even better... quit quoting him. I'm trying to forget he exists.

he's on ignore. I suggest you do the same thing.

DING DING DING DING! We have a winner!

They call em "roguelikes" in the same way that for the first few years every FPS was a "doom clone". There's not yet a better name for it. If you think you can come up with one, name it and if it's worth using people will change over to the new term.

As far as I know, roguelikes have: random levels, permadeath, and a tile/grid based graphics. If it doesn't exactly fit that description then it's a "rogue lite" or a "roguelike-like" or whatever.

Dungeons of Dredmor is a good one, FTL is ok (I didn't like it quite as much as everyone else did), Spelunky isn't really a roguelike but it has randomly generated levels and permadeath, rogue legacy is a self described "rogue lite".

That's pretty much all the ones I know about...

Unless some of the other indie games I've tried are also rogue-likes (Terraria? Monaco? Dust? Cave Story? Don't Starve?)

Terraria has randomly generated levels, but unless you set your character to hardcore mode it's not permadeath. Monaco is definitely not Roguelike (no permadeath, no randomly generated levels or anything), Cave Story is more of a platformer/shooter. No roguelike qualities there. Don't starve has randomly generated levels, but you CAN have more than one life if you set things up so you can respawn. Otherwise no....Don't Starve is more of a survival game than a roguelike.

Try going to the steam store page, do an advanced search (I think it might also work on a normal search) and use "roguelike" for the search term and you'll get a bunch of suggestions though some of the games may just have "roguelike elements", usually permadeath and random generated levels.

---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#27jakisthePosted 12/29/2013 11:53:58 PM
Dungeons of Dredmor
Nethack

Also, Monaco and Cave Story as roguelikes? :L
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#28Termin8rPosted 12/30/2013 12:24:19 AM
Try Crypt of the Necrodancer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzl0yfKTwIc
---
http://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif
#29chaosdragon919Posted 12/30/2013 6:33:58 AM
locky723 posted...
ADHDguitar posted...
Dungeons of Dredmor. Freaking great game. One of my favorite RPG's on PC.

I second that. Plus the DLC and game can be bought, on sale, for under $10. Just watch out for traps. And you'll get a TON of items so is recommend getting at least the wizard DLC and putting stuff in the other dimension once you get it. Oh and monster farms... RUN. Unless your uber powerfull

Agree: Dredmor is a fantastic game.
Disagree: You see those monster zoos, you throw yourself in swinging.
---
Needs more books.
#30locky723Posted 12/30/2013 6:38:43 AM
chaosdragon919 posted...
locky723 posted...
ADHDguitar posted...
Dungeons of Dredmor. Freaking great game. One of my favorite RPG's on PC.

I second that. Plus the DLC and game can be bought, on sale, for under $10. Just watch out for traps. And you'll get a TON of items so is recommend getting at least the wizard DLC and putting stuff in the other dimension once you get it. Oh and monster farms... RUN. Unless your uber powerfull

Agree: Dredmor is a fantastic game.
Disagree: You see those monster zoos, you throw yourself in swinging.

With monster farms, I just let them come a little at a time, attack, then go heal in a room next to it. It usually works... Until I get greedy or something super powerful attacks quickly.