This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the best "rogue-like" games?

#31SinfullyvannilaPosted 12/30/2013 6:56:17 AM(edited)
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Steamster posted...
Refer to them as "rogue-lites."

Rogue-lite doesn't mean anything. It's a nonsensical term that casual kiddies want to use to feel hardcore. These games have nothing to do with Rogue.

Actually, developers are starting to use the term. It means a game inspired by Roguelikes.

On-topic, my favorites are Shiren(SNES/DS) and ADOM.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#32locky723Posted 12/30/2013 6:56:47 AM
What the hell is the big deal? It's a freaking name. So what if say Spelunky isn't 'technically' a rogue like. The name is now more broad, so I don't see why you guys need to argue about what a rogue like or lite or whatever it is.
#33SinfullyvannilaPosted 12/30/2013 7:13:32 AM(edited)
Oddly enough, Roguelike designers actually had a conference to determine exactly what the genre means. I can dig it up in a second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike#Classical_roguelikes_.2F_Berlin_Interpretation

In my simple interpretation of it, roguelikes are modeled specifically after Rogue, "rogue-lites" are inspired by roguelikes.

So yeah, there really is no reason to argue about it, since it was determined years ago.
---
#34Killah PriestPosted 12/30/2013 7:37:04 AM
What the hell is the big deal? It's a freaking name. So what if say Spelunky isn't 'technically' a rogue like. The name is now more broad, so I don't see why you guys need to argue about what a rogue like or lite or whatever it is.

Snobs will nitpick over anything, just ignore people like that.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#35arleasPosted 12/30/2013 7:51:22 AM
With monster farms, I just let them come a little at a time, attack, then go heal in a room next to it. It usually works... Until I get greedy or something super powerful attacks quickly.

I stand in a doorway and let them attack me one at a time. Actually the absolute best thing is when you're infected with (or have the spell/skill that makes corpses infected with) the thaumites and you bump into a monster zoo. The thaumites spread from monster to monster and can wipe out the whole room.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#36ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/30/2013 9:43:33 AM
arleas posted...
They call em "roguelikes" in the same way that for the first few years every FPS was a "doom clone". There's not yet a better name for it.

There's no need for a better name, because Roguelikes exist for only one reason. To be like Rogue.

Rogue and Roguelikes are decades older than Doom, kiddo.
#37SinfullyvannilaPosted 12/30/2013 9:49:25 AM
Don't starve has randomly generated levels, but you CAN have more than one life if you set things up so you can respawn. Otherwise no....Don't Starve is more of a survival game than a roguelike.

I agree that it's not a roguelike. "Survival" elements(well, at least keeping yourself fed) have always been part of the Roguelike genre.

Just sharing some knowledge to increase my e-peen.
---
#38locky723Posted 12/30/2013 1:33:50 PM
arleas posted...
With monster farms, I just let them come a little at a time, attack, then go heal in a room next to it. It usually works... Until I get greedy or something super powerful attacks quickly.

I stand in a doorway and let them attack me one at a time. Actually the absolute best thing is when you're infected with (or have the spell/skill that makes corpses infected with) the thaumites and you bump into a monster zoo. The thaumites spread from monster to monster and can wipe out the whole room.

Oh that's what I mean kinda. Then I just shut the door. But it's still killed me. Thay it's? Never heard of them.