This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the best "rogue-like" games?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are the best "rogue-like" games?
2 years ago#31
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Steamster posted...
Refer to them as "rogue-lites."

Rogue-lite doesn't mean anything. It's a nonsensical term that casual kiddies want to use to feel hardcore. These games have nothing to do with Rogue.

Actually, developers are starting to use the term. It means a game inspired by Roguelikes.

On-topic, my favorites are Shiren(SNES/DS) and ADOM.
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
2 years ago#32
What the hell is the big deal? It's a freaking name. So what if say Spelunky isn't 'technically' a rogue like. The name is now more broad, so I don't see why you guys need to argue about what a rogue like or lite or whatever it is.
2 years ago#33
Oddly enough, Roguelike designers actually had a conference to determine exactly what the genre means. I can dig it up in a second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike#Classical_roguelikes_.2F_Berlin_Interpretation

In my simple interpretation of it, roguelikes are modeled specifically after Rogue, "rogue-lites" are inspired by roguelikes.

So yeah, there really is no reason to argue about it, since it was determined years ago.
2 years ago#34
What the hell is the big deal? It's a freaking name. So what if say Spelunky isn't 'technically' a rogue like. The name is now more broad, so I don't see why you guys need to argue about what a rogue like or lite or whatever it is.

Snobs will nitpick over anything, just ignore people like that.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
2 years ago#35
With monster farms, I just let them come a little at a time, attack, then go heal in a room next to it. It usually works... Until I get greedy or something super powerful attacks quickly.

I stand in a doorway and let them attack me one at a time. Actually the absolute best thing is when you're infected with (or have the spell/skill that makes corpses infected with) the thaumites and you bump into a monster zoo. The thaumites spread from monster to monster and can wipe out the whole room.
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
2 years ago#36
arleas posted...
They call em "roguelikes" in the same way that for the first few years every FPS was a "doom clone". There's not yet a better name for it.

There's no need for a better name, because Roguelikes exist for only one reason. To be like Rogue.

Rogue and Roguelikes are decades older than Doom, kiddo.
2 years ago#37
Don't starve has randomly generated levels, but you CAN have more than one life if you set things up so you can respawn. Otherwise no....Don't Starve is more of a survival game than a roguelike.

I agree that it's not a roguelike. "Survival" elements(well, at least keeping yourself fed) have always been part of the Roguelike genre.

Just sharing some knowledge to increase my e-peen.
2 years ago#38
arleas posted...
With monster farms, I just let them come a little at a time, attack, then go heal in a room next to it. It usually works... Until I get greedy or something super powerful attacks quickly.

I stand in a doorway and let them attack me one at a time. Actually the absolute best thing is when you're infected with (or have the spell/skill that makes corpses infected with) the thaumites and you bump into a monster zoo. The thaumites spread from monster to monster and can wipe out the whole room.

Oh that's what I mean kinda. Then I just shut the door. But it's still killed me. Thay it's? Never heard of them.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are the best "rogue-like" games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived