This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are some recent games like Shadowrun Returns? Is Van Helsing like it?

#1Forever ShadowedPosted 12/26/2013 4:14:15 PM
Just beat Shadowrun, fantastic. A wonderful throwback to the old days of isometric WRPGs. Great cyberpunk setting and story. Can't wait for the new campaign next month, and I'll try some mods soon too.

What are some other games like it? I also have Van Helsing in my list and I just got the DLC for it. I get it may not stylistically be the same, but is it atleast have turn based tactical combat?
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#2Dark_SpiretPosted 12/26/2013 4:18:05 PM
Helsing is an arpg similar to diablo, torchlight, path of exile ect. other than a top down perspective there very different. If you want something like Shadowrun (minus the aesthetic) then id keep my eye out for all the kickstarter iso rpg's coming out like Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin and Project Eternity.
---
Currently playing: Rogue Legacy - Tales of Xillia - Skyrim
#3KabtheMentatPosted 12/26/2013 4:20:13 PM
You'll probably want XCOM if you want something similar to Shadowrun's combat.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#4BogePosted 12/26/2013 4:23:39 PM(edited)
Your best turn based tactical combat games are Xcom, Jagged Alliance (not back in action), Fallout 1 & 2 & tactics, and Silent Storm.
---
And so he prophesied that the sheeple will follow the stupid, and the stupid will rule the Earth.
#5rpgianPosted 12/26/2013 4:46:55 PM
Omerta city of gangsters is the most recent one. Its 1920's prohib era with the fallout/SR Ap combat system + a real time resource management aspect. The first mandatory tuta's are slow and boring but its good fun if you are patient.

Xcom is like that with a more strategic enviroment but less a rpg. Fallout series is much more akin as it also has the techno punk third world feel to it. I like the grid stuff too but most of it that exists is old console stuff.

If you ditch the rpg in favor of card/strategy then a lot more opens up. Divinity Dragon commander has some dialogue choices at HQ with an optional real time aspect to it. Tons of Axis/Alliance military grid games.

Van helsing is action/adventure. Real time movement around collecting loot and fighting stuff with all the modern conviences like auto loot/auto attack/etc. Not notably awesome but fun enough but not similar.
#6Forever Shadowed(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 11:56:09 AM
A shame it seems like most of this genre exists in these older, 10+ year old games. I've already played most of them.

Atleast Shadowrun has a new campaign coming and an even more robust mod kit along with it
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.