This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installed new Motherboard. Computer won't turn on. Please help.

#1matrix0523Posted 12/26/2013 7:11:03 PM
After tons of returns, I finally managed to get my computer built. It worked perfectly for two weeks, and then there was a drop in performance, and the computer had trouble starting. It wouldn't register the monitor unless I started it multiple times. Anyways, I spilled milk on to my case, and I opened it to make sure nothing was broken. The milk (seemingly) didn't land anywhere, so I closed everything back up and cleaned my case. I plugged it back in, and it refused to read the monitor. Just like the very first time I bought the motherboard. I kept trying for a few hours, and eventually it started doing something new. After staying on for 3 minutes (monitor still not registering), it would restart by itself. The next day, it wouldn't even turn on. I ordered a new motherboard (gigabyte LGA1150) and I just got it today. I hooked everything up, tried to start it, and it wouldn't turn on.

So what's the problem? Please help so I can order whatever I need to as soon as possible.

Stats:

Intel I3-4130

MSI 3GB 7950

Corsair 430w Power Supply

Rosewill Galaxy Case

Gigabyte LGA1150 motherboard (First one was an Asrock Pro3)
---
IGN: Frank West
#2AltmadragonPosted 12/26/2013 7:19:25 PM
If the computer starts up and runs but the monitor isn't showing anything after changing out the motherboard the problem is either the gpu or the monitor.
---
Ha! Made you read |TJ07| i5-3570k| Asus p8z77-v| GB GTX 770 4gb sli|16gb Corsair veng| 1TB WD HDx2| 128gb Samsung ssd| XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit|
#3matrix0523(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 7:21:04 PM
its not starting up. at all.
---
#4Delta_F14Posted 12/26/2013 7:22:09 PM
If you have onboard graphics, try to use them.
---
Vault Dweller > All other Video game characters
#5VolebamusPosted 12/26/2013 7:26:05 PM
To make sure to ask the obvious just in case: is the PSU's power switch on?

Aside from that, did you make sure that all the cables that need to go from the PSU to the motherboard are all connected?

To help better, a picture of your motherboard as it is now, along with the connections from the power supply being easy to see, would help.
---
(( It is of my own Volition to act as I have. ))
#6AltmadragonPosted 12/26/2013 7:27:26 PM
It's the psu then most likely.
---
Ha! Made you read |TJ07| i5-3570k| Asus p8z77-v| GB GTX 770 4gb sli|16gb Corsair veng| 1TB WD HDx2| 128gb Samsung ssd| XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit|
#7matrix0523(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 7:24:29 AM
Alright, is it possible that the case could be the problem? It turns out the milk got onto a lot of the cases wires. Is there any way I can find out for sure that the power supply is the problem?
---
#8DawnshadowPosted 12/27/2013 8:37:08 AM
To test the power supply, you would probably want a multimeter (or a second PSU.)

I'm wondering if the problem might be the power button on the case; my case's reset button broke a few months back and I had to disconnect it from the motherboard to make the computer turn on again.

Some motherboards have a power button on the board itself; if your does, just push it. If it doesn't, you can remove the connector to the case's power button and touch the tip of a screwdriver to the two pins that the power connector connects to (which should turn it on.)
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#9matrix0523(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 9:35:08 AM
Dawnshadow posted...
To test the power supply, you would probably want a multimeter (or a second PSU.)

I'm wondering if the problem might be the power button on the case; my case's reset button broke a few months back and I had to disconnect it from the motherboard to make the computer turn on again.

Some motherboards have a power button on the board itself; if your does, just push it. If it doesn't, you can remove the connector to the case's power button and touch the tip of a screwdriver to the two pins that the power connector connects to (which should turn it on.)

Hmm...that could very well be the issue. I'll look up a video tutorial on how to do so and I'll report back.
---
#10matrix0523(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 9:38:16 AM
matrix0523 posted...
Dawnshadow posted...

Hmm...that could very well be the issue. I'll look up a video tutorial on how to do so and I'll report back.

Nevermind. I just read that post closely and that's actually extremely simple. Ill try it now.
---