This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Call of Juarez Gunslinger as good as the reviews say?

#11dekouPosted 12/27/2013 10:18:23 AM
It's a great old-school shooter. Old-school in that the core gameplay is about going forward and shooting stuff instead of watching cutscenes and playing QTEs. Fast, stylish and fun. It's what Max Payne 3 should've been like.

I read some reviews before buying and I think it was underrated, if anything.
#12sonicteam2k1Posted 12/27/2013 10:39:01 AM
it's pretty good. not mind blowing like one other guy said but very fun. The narrative is pretty good. the way it's sold is awesome
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#13ADHDguitarPosted 12/27/2013 10:39:23 AM
Drags a bit near the end, but it's worth playing.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | i7-4770K | GTX 780 | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3 | Corsair 850W| Cooler Master Full Tower | Seagate 3TB Drive | LG Blu-Ray Drive |
#14CourtofOwlsPosted 12/27/2013 11:29:09 AM
easily the best call of juarez game
---
[?]
Boycott Best Buy!
#15cody4783Posted 12/27/2013 12:07:12 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Its one of the more unique singleplayer experiences in some time. I loved what little I played of it and I know Cody enjoyed it a fair bit. Get it.

Indeed I did. Played through it over a few sessions.

It's corny, and likes to break the fourth wall a lot, but man it's good fun. As said above, it goes off the idea of a guy sitting in a bar telling a story, and progresses you through some comic-book/old west tale style levels and progression.

But, because it's a story being told actively, some things get...let's say re-arranged at times, in the most hilarious ways. Like early on you go through a bit of a battle "Kick ass and take names" style, as the people you're telling it to get caught up into the story...But then it backs up, shifts some bits of the level around (Right in front of you), and gives a "No, no, no...THIS is how it REALLY happened". Other times he'll actively say thinks like "I wandered through the thick fog, unable to see a thing...When suddenly it seemed like this Barn appeared from nowhere"...And then a barn just rises out of the blue.

I really did enjoy it. The gameplay and shooting is all solid as well. I beat it in only about 5-6 hours; But there's a New Game+ that opens a harder difficulty and allows you to continue collecting skills, and a few arcade mode extras that could extend that out a bit.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#16aak57Posted 12/27/2013 12:08:25 PM
Is it viable to actually go through the game using six shooters or are you basically urged to use rifles and the like?
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#17Dark_SpiretPosted 12/27/2013 12:20:42 PM
the only real issue i have with the game is that its so linear it feels literally on-rails most of the time. Outside of that its quite good with fun combat, good visuals, nice extra modes with a newgame+, upgrade system and interesting collectibles(to history buffs). Decent length at 5-6hours with a cool story.

its just a damn good game.
---
Currently playing: Rogue Legacy - Tales of Xillia - Skyrim
#18SienrurouniPosted 12/27/2013 1:32:24 PM
I'd say it's better than the reviews say. It really is a fantastic game that's very well done, with some great arcadey shooting, and a fascinating unreliable narration.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane
#19CourtofOwlsPosted 12/27/2013 1:48:36 PM
aak57 posted...
Is it viable to actually go through the game using six shooters or are you basically urged to use rifles and the like?

yup
in fact in the challenge/arcade mode you only get to pick one weapon
i was second on one of the leaderboards (that was months ago so probably not now) and i'm pretty sure i used the six shooters for that one
---
[?]
Boycott Best Buy!