This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will AMD ever get any FAIR competition?

#21godplaysSNESPosted 12/27/2013 2:16:59 PM
Nvidia has usually done more dirty things than AMD, so I can't be surprised about this news.

Asellus posted...

Even if the api is open if it's designed around the characteristics of GCN it may not be in nVidia's best interests to support it. It'd be a similar situation to nVidia opening up CUDA (only moreso since at least CUDA's not tied to hardware closely enough to only run on say Kepler).

While AMD is going to keep using and improving the GCN architecture for the years to come, having Mantle require the GCN architecture would be stupid long term. AMD must have planned so they can use Mantle on different future architectures.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#22PraetorXynPosted 12/27/2013 2:24:06 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
I think the real question is will AMD ever make a competitive CPU in the Desktop arena again? Their FX series was mostly a flop compared to the intel "i-series" family for the past several years.

If recent leaks are factual, AMD is going to stop making desktop CPU 's and make only APU' s by the end of 2015.

Nothing concrete but it would make sense because APUs are where they make money.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#23AsellusPosted 12/27/2013 2:55:36 PM
Developers can just avoid developing on proprietary technology.

We do have DirectX for a reason.

Or OpenGL which is cross-platform and should offer similar performance as Mantle via vendor-extentions.

While AMD is going to keep using and improving the GCN architecture for the years to come, having Mantle require the GCN architecture would be stupid long term. AMD must have planned so they can use Mantle on different future architectures.

Even if it's not purely made to be required if it's designed around it then another architecture trying to support is likely to be at an inherent disadvantage. To say nothing of signing onto the inherent dubiousness of signing on to supporting an api the design of which is decided purely by your competitor. This isn't nVidia not being sporting, it would be bloody suicidal to.
#24MarikhenPosted 12/27/2013 5:10:02 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
If recent leaks are factual, AMD is going to stop making desktop CPU 's and make only APU' s by the end of 2015.

Nothing concrete but it would make sense because APUs are where they make money.

That sort of move would absolutely suck for the gaming CPU market. :-/ In a very real sense I have far less of a problem making my next CPU an Intel one due to gaming performance issues than I would making my next CPU an Intel one because the only thing AMD has on the market are APUs best suited for barebones, portable, or "hot" (as in designed for maximum thermal tolerances as I rather expect that not having a discrete GPU can help in this regard) systems or laptops.
---
"Before I send them to hell, I shall let them see heaven." - Claptonvaughn, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605432-path-of-exile/68145584
#25JKatarnPosted 12/27/2013 5:16:58 PM
KamenRiderBlade posted...
Developers can just avoid developing on proprietary technology.

We do have DirectX for a reason.

Yes, there's nothing proprietary about the API developed by Microsoft for Windows, and won't run on any other OS BUT Windows, lol.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES