This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hey, Age of Empires 3 is a pretty damn fun Strategy Game

#11Chaos_MissilePosted 12/27/2013 9:48:21 AM
Yes, yes it is.

There are some minor issues, such as the weird bug where your units, regardless of speed, will walk at the EXACT SAME speed. Might not be a bug though, but it's gets kinda annoying if you're rushing back to your home base and your calvary is walking as fast as your infantry because you selected all of them together.

Also, most of the factions share a number of units, something which I'm not a fan off. I usually end up using the country-specific units only to avoid this problem.

For example, my British army will generally consist of Musketeers, Grenadiers and the occasional bombard.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#12Majoras_pantsPosted 12/27/2013 10:08:57 AM
It's an incredible game, but disappointing for people wanting a sequel to Age of Empires 2.

I loved both games. But I wish that there was also a game that was more like a sequel to AoE2 and call AoE 3 something else. Age of Empires (subtitle) type dealy.

And hell, why not an Age of Empires 4 while they're at it.

But I have and play both games still. And both are incredible for different reasons.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#13HighOnPhazon(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 10:19:29 AM
Chaos_Missile posted...
Yes, yes it is.

There are some minor issues, such as the weird bug where your units, regardless of speed, will walk at the EXACT SAME speed. Might not be a bug though, but it's gets kinda annoying if you're rushing back to your home base and your calvary is walking as fast as your infantry because you selected all of them together.

Also, most of the factions share a number of units, something which I'm not a fan off. I usually end up using the country-specific units only to avoid this problem.

For example, my British army will generally consist of Musketeers, Grenadiers and the occasional bombard.

I don't think that's a bug, the unit behavior is in formation, like AoE 2, if you had Knights paired up with Swordsmen, they would all walk in formation and go the same speed.
---
PC / WII U / 3DS
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#14TowerBooks3192Posted 12/27/2013 10:26:10 AM
I am an old school person so I would prefer 2 because of fond memories (despite sucking at it) and the setting. How is it though? Is it much of a clickfest? I know speed helps but I just want to play AoE at a very slow pace and enjoy building and turtling then mounting an offensive that is so huge and epic.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#15DerPancakePosted 12/27/2013 10:27:19 AM
Chaos_Missile posted...
Yes, yes it is.

Yeah if you select them together they will walk as slow as slowest unit in your army, so if you want them to go at their speed you have to micro and select only the Hussars. Also if you get hit by a melee attack all your army slows down unless you single out the unit getting hit.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#16HighOnPhazon(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 10:36:08 AM
TowerBooks3192 posted...
I am an old school person so I would prefer 2 because of fond memories (despite sucking at it) and the setting. How is it though? Is it much of a clickfest? I know speed helps but I just want to play AoE at a very slow pace and enjoy building and turtling then mounting an offensive that is so huge and epic.

It's more about exploring the map than turtling, because you have an "Explorer" hero unit that you set about the frontier, gathering resources and making friends with native tribes, building trade posts etc.

It's not really a click fest like Starcraft, so don't worry.

It's much different than AoE 2, it feels a bit faster paced. Your workers don't travel back to your town hall so you're making workers and setting them to their task and pretty much not micromanaging them too much. Ages come quicker, there seems to be a bit less tech involved, it's just more streamlined, but I don't fault it for being "dumbed down" while you could certainly look at it that way coming from AoE 2, which had a TON of tech involved, it's still a fun game.
---
PC / WII U / 3DS
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#17TowerBooks3192Posted 12/27/2013 10:47:43 AM
HighOnPhazon posted...
TowerBooks3192 posted...

It's more about exploring the map than turtling, because you have an "Explorer" hero unit that you set about the frontier, gathering resources and making friends with native tribes, building trade posts etc.

It's not really a click fest like Starcraft, so don't worry.

It's much different than AoE 2, it feels a bit faster paced. Your workers don't travel back to your town hall so you're making workers and setting them to their task and pretty much not micromanaging them too much. Ages come quicker, there seems to be a bit less tech involved, it's just more streamlined, but I don't fault it for being "dumbed down" while you could certainly look at it that way coming from AoE 2, which had a TON of tech involved, it's still a fun game.

Cheers! That sounds reassuring. I kind of avoid RTS because I am really slow and prefer to think about my moves before I make them. Its just the nagging feeling at the back of my head that even though I play something as slow as Sins of a solar empire: Rebellion, I always get the feeling that I am behind and the enemies could get me soon. I had a lot of opportunity to get 3 digitally and physically but its just the feeling that I have to rush things that stopped me.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower