This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which monitor? (IPS vs 144Hz)

#1Cinder6Posted 12/27/2013 9:36:32 AM
I want to get a new monitor. Right now I have an ASUS VE247H, and I want a 27" monitor. I was set on an ASUS VS278Q-P:

http://www.amazon.com/VS278Q-P-Ultrafast-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B009HNEBLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388161767&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+vs278q-p

However, after a lot of reading, I'm not certain it's the best decision, and am instead considering the 144Hz VG247HE:

http://www.amazon.com/Series-VG278HE-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00906HM6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388161834&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+vg278he

I have some concerns, though. First is price; I don't want to pay more than I need to, and the VG is $100 more than the VS. I don't have an nVidia card, so the "G sync" chip thing isn't a benefit (if that monitor even supports it).

I'm primarily playing Skyrim these days. Even with Vsync disabled, I only get 55-61 FPS anyway (with way too many graphics mods and an ENB applied), so I'm not convinced the higher refresh rate of the VG monitor will be a benefit there. Would I still see a benefit? (I'm not sure how, but you never know.)

Then there's the fact that the VS monitor is an IPS display. That was initially a big reason for wanting a new monitor; I don't like the color reproduction of TN displays (my other displays are all IPS). But if the higher refresh rate will make that much of a difference, then I can put up with TN; this computer is used almost solely for gaming, after all.

Specs, if they matter:
i5 3570k
2x Radeon 7950s (3GB)
8GB RAM

Any help is appreciated!
---
stop picking on balloon fight. - kuddy53
#2Cinder6(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 11:19:38 AM
First and only bump.
---
#3SuigintouEVPosted 12/27/2013 11:23:52 AM
Get the IPS. The human eye has a refresh rate limited to around 85hz anyways.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#4PhilOnDezPosted 12/27/2013 11:30:37 AM(edited)
The IPS monitor will have better, more accurate colors. 120-144hz monitors tend to have 'bad' color accuracy, meaning not necessarily that the colors or even the picture as a whole will look bad but you won't be seeing what you're supposed to be seeing. If you don't do art work on your computer for a living/hobby it shouldn't affect you unless you're fairly sensitive to color accuracy and know what you're supposed to be looking at and it bothers you that they aren't right.

I'm a painter (I paint houses/apartments/offices, not pictures) so I fall into that category (Not so much the bothered by it part, but the can tell the difference) I can tell a huge difference between the same things on my laptop, TV, and IPS monitor with the IPS monitor being the best of the three. In games it isn't as big a deal since honestly most of the games I play are cartoony but watching videos and movies it's definitely noticeable.

E: Since you said your games don't go much above 60 with your setup anyway there's no reason to go with the 144hz monitor. That's mostly for competitive games like CS where every millisecond counts.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#5dekouPosted 12/27/2013 11:31:52 AM
Cinder6 posted...
I'm primarily playing Skyrim these days. Even with Vsync disabled, I only get 55-61 FPS anyway (with way too many graphics mods and an ENB applied), so I'm not convinced the higher refresh rate of the VG monitor will be a benefit there. Would I still see a benefit? (I'm not sure how, but you never know.)

No, you wouldn't. Get the IPS. Only get a 144Hz monitor if your PC can handle it.
#6Cinder6(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 11:44:52 AM
Thanks!
---
#7The cranky hermitPosted 12/27/2013 11:51:47 AM
I suggest the IPS. 120/144Hz seems like a "nice to have," but only for games, and it's wasted if your PC can't handle that high a frame rate.

60hz is good enough IMO, but the color reproduction of TN screens isn't good enough - having poor color reproduction would ruin my gaming experience, even with a 144hz frame rate. And it would also ruin the experience of watching movies, browsing web pages with graphics, and playing older (and emulated) games with fixed frame rates - experiences that can't benefit at all from 144Hz!

Still, I do wish I could get a true (as in not overclocked) 120Hz IPS monitor, though being curious about 3D gaming likely plays a stronger role in this than interest in playing Counter-Strike at 120 FPS does.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#8PhilOnDezPosted 12/27/2013 1:35:47 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
60hz is good enough IMO, but the color reproduction of TN screens isn't good enough - having poor color reproduction would ruin my gaming experience, even with a 144hz frame rate. And it would also ruin the experience of watching movies, (...) experiences that can't benefit at all from 144Hz!

Some people say movies on a 120hz monitor are vastly superior to 60hz. I've never looked for the difference myself but it makes sense, there's no way to divide 60 by 24 cleanly but you can do it with 120 (5 refreshes per frame, or 6 at 144 though I've never heard people say this about 144). Overclocking an IPS to 72 (Or downclocking to 48? Never heard of anyone doing that) seems like it would provide the better experience overall though.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9GarquillPosted 12/27/2013 1:38:08 PM
wait for gsync monitor

SuigintouEV posted...
Get the IPS. The human eye has a refresh rate limited to around 85hz anyways.

get out
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#10Cinder6(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 1:40:25 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
Some people say movies on a 120hz monitor are vastly superior to 60hz. I've never looked for the difference myself but it makes sense, there's no way to divide 60 by 24 cleanly but you can do it with 120 (5 refreshes per frame, or 6 at 144 though I've never heard people say this about 144). Overclocking an IPS to 72 (Or downclocking to 48? Never heard of anyone doing that) seems like it would provide the better experience overall though.

I have a 120Hz TV, and I actually hate the feature for video. It makes everything look unnatural.

At the moment, I'm actually strongly considering skipping the 27" and getting two more 24" screens. The extra 3" would be nice, but surround gaming would be nicer, and it would have the added benefit of extra workspaces for those rare times I'm not gaming on this system.
---