This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buying a Steam game twice?

#1JohnnyShred612Posted 12/27/2013 12:23:05 PM
I realize Steam is smart and won't let you buy a game twice.

However, my friend tried to be nice a while ago, buying and setting up Dark Souls on my computer while I was away as a gift for my birthday. However, when he was setting it up, he accidentally bound the key to his GFWL account, not realizing the key was going to bind to the specific account instead of bind to the computer. So now, while I can play, it's always under his account.

It's on Steam Sale right now for only $5, so I'd like to just buy another key so I can register it to my own GFWL account, but it won't let me. Any workaround?
---
Gift wrapped the division and still couldn't clinch. LMFAO Cutler.
In McCown we trust.
#2Killah PriestPosted 12/27/2013 12:25:32 PM(edited)
just a theory but:

buy as gift, make new account, gift to new account, copy cd key, register cd key to your live ID?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3JohnnyShred612(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 1:31:14 PM
Killah Priest posted...
just a theory but:

buy as gift, make new account, gift to new account, copy cd key, register cd key to your live ID?

Sounds plausible. I'll give it a shot.
---
Gift wrapped the division and still couldn't clinch. LMFAO Cutler.
In McCown we trust.
#4ChromaticAngelPosted 12/27/2013 2:31:23 PM
or just wait until later 2014 when the DRM will be patched out.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#5fire2boxPosted 12/27/2013 3:13:12 PM
GFWL is dying, microsoft's fully pulling its plug.

Dark Souls should get a official patch to remove it, if not. Then it can be like Fallout 3 where user mod's removed it.
---
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039