This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

2 SSD's in Raid 0?

#1army_man179Posted 12/27/2013 3:17:27 PM
Bought 2 120GB SSD's REALLY cheap and have them in Raid 0 as my main drive and have a TB drive as well for data. Anybody have any comments? I realize that 1 of the SSD's going bad will ruin both but I couldn't think of a better way to use them. The boot times are amazing on them in Raid 0 though
#2ThePCElitistPosted 12/27/2013 3:20:11 PM
Nothing to say. You already said everything. If you want the speed then go for it. I don't see why you need to raid an SSD though personally for typical PC usage or gaming.
---
Server PC:
Xeon E5-2630, Gigabyte X79-UD3, 16 GB's CORSAIR Vengeance LP 1600mhz, Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB (x2), Seagate 4TB 7,200 rpm hdd, Corsair RM650
#3army_man179(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 3:21:20 PM
I guess just trying to talk myself out of using Raid 0... SSD's are so expensive though if you don't get a great deal
#4juscallmeehxPosted 12/27/2013 3:22:46 PM
I have 2 SSDs and 1 HDD. 1 SSD for OS, The HDD for data and games, and 1 SSD for games that can have long loading times e.g. Battlefield 4, Skyrim, etc.
---
PSN, XBL & Steam: juscallmeehx
i5-4670k CPU @ 3.7GHz OC | 2x8GB RAM | Evga GTX 560 ti | 2x128GB SSD & 1TB HD
#5HydroCannabinolPosted 12/27/2013 3:22:49 PM
army_man179 posted...
I guess just trying to talk myself out of using Raid 0... SSD's are so expensive though if you don't get a great deal

Ya RAID0 for SSD is stupid IMO. Waste of space. Might as well mirror for redundancy or just use both of them for extra space to load more programs.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#6fataliPosted 12/27/2013 3:27:41 PM
HydroCannabinol posted...
army_man179 posted...

Ya RAID0 for SSD is stupid IMO. Waste of space. Might as well mirror for redundancy or just use both of them for extra space to load more programs.

Waste of space?? I guess you don't know how RAID 0 works. =P When you set 2 SSDs of 120 GB in RAID 0 you get 1 volume disc of 240 GB.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#7R i c kPosted 12/27/2013 3:39:34 PM
On the one hand, RAID0 is the worst since you multiply your chances for failure by the number of drives in the setup and losing 1 drive in a RAID0 setup means losing everything.

On the other hand, if you've got it setup with just your OS and programs on the SSDs then you don't really risk losing anything important.

On the other other hand, they're SSDs so what's the point of RAIDing them? Personally, I'd just set them up as independent drives with one for my OS and programs and the other for games that benefit from being on an SSD (ones with long load times or stream-loading).

If you're going to RAID either set it up as a 1-for-1 automatic backup or a drive with parity error correction so that you don't lose anything if a drive fails.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Featuring APB: Reloaded & Hearthstone! Game giveaways with each new vid!
#8HydroCannabinolPosted 12/27/2013 5:38:05 PM
fatali posted...
HydroCannabinol posted...
army_man179 posted...

Waste of space?? I guess you don't know how RAID 0 works. =P When you set 2 SSDs of 120 GB in RAID 0 you get 1 volume disc of 240 GB.

Ya I thought for some reason it wrote on both HDDs I don't know why I thought striping reduced size... I've set up many arrays haha I feel stupid as hell.. -_-;;
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil