This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A question for those who play Arma 3/DayZ standalone

#1TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 12/27/2013 4:23:51 PM
I originally posted this on the DayZ forum, but:
1. It has no replies
2. It applies to Arma 3, DayZ, and possibly more games
3. I figured PCH could give me a better idea of latency

I've been interested in DayZ (and the Arma series) since the mod first got popular, and I've come close to buying Arma 2 a couple times, but I'm wondering if my ping will be a big problem.

I have a satellite connection, so the latency is anywhere from 600-1000 ms, depending on the server. I know in the typical first-person shooter like Call of Duty it's vital to have the lowest ping possible (more than 100 ms being unplayable in certain situations). However, I know DayZ and Arma 2 are typically slower-paced (except for certain encounters and when playing on a more professional level). I can play some multiplayer games with few frustrations, like Minecraft (but no combat), RuneScape (before EOC, I don't play it anymore), some Garry's Mod gamemodes (like TTT, but I'm usually screwed when everyone starts shooting), Dark Souls (except for PvP duels, but helping other players in PvE usually works fine) and Saints Row: The Third.

DayZ looks like something I'd really enjoy. I watch a lot of PsiSyndicate. Will it still be enjoyable with a lot of latency?

Also, this is not an issue of upload and download speeds. I have pretty good speeds. The only issue is latency. That's all I'm wondering about. I'm also wondering if I should pick up a mic. Would it be really choppy with high latency, or just delayed (even if it's delayed, it's still probably going to be a lot more convenient than typing)?

Also, how does the standalone compare to the mod so far?

Another thing: are the zombies a lot better in the standalone? In the mod, they always seemed really erratic. They twitched and moved around oddly. It made them hard to hit even for people with a good connection, so I imagine it would be a nightmare for someone on satellite. Does the standalone do the same thing, or is this finally fixed (or, if not, does anyone know if it will be)?

---
Steam: Sydite
#2bsballa09Posted 12/27/2013 4:33:06 PM
The movement in the Real Virtuality engine is already horrid to begin with. Add that much latency to it, it would be virtually (pun) impossible to play.
---
99.9% of the time the argument of freedom of speech is used, it's not a freedom of speech issue.
#3CommonJoePosted 12/27/2013 4:36:33 PM
I'm not quite sure on what mic issues might arise. But yes, a mic is fairly vital, because when you encounter players, a mic will let you calm the situation down faster and more reliably than typing. People will freak out if you just sit there (IE, you're typing) and will likely kill you.

BUT, the game should still be more or less playable. There are some server issues still affecting people atm, so if you end up affected you'll end up with an exaggerated dip in play-ability.

And the standalone is 100x better than the mod, and is only really missing a couple key features that are on the way. The standalone can literally only get better going forward.

And the zombies are much much better as well, though not quite there just yet. They still have pathfinding issues (IE, even with a good connection and what not they'll teleport through walls and such), but they actually behave more or less like zombies now rather than silly speed demons.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#4bsballa09Posted 12/27/2013 4:37:29 PM
And the standalone is 100x better than the mod, and is only really missing a couple key features that are on the way. The standalone can literally only get better going forward.

A couple of key features? It's literally missing just about everything. The only thing in the game are guns, food, and zombies.
---
99.9% of the time the argument of freedom of speech is used, it's not a freedom of speech issue.
#5CommonJoePosted 12/27/2013 4:41:37 PM
bsballa09 posted...

A couple of key features? It's literally missing just about everything. The only thing in the game are guns, food, and zombies.

The only things its missing is cooking, tents, and vehicles. Vehicles are the only "big" feature actually missing, and most players who stuck to vanilla rarely got to experience them anyway.

I don't know which version of DayZ you played, but vanilla never had that much to it.
---
#6bsballa09Posted 12/27/2013 4:43:52 PM
CommonJoe posted...
bsballa09 posted...

The only things its missing is cooking, tents, and vehicles. Vehicles are the only "big" feature actually missing, and most players who stuck to vanilla rarely got to experience them anyway.

I don't know which version of DayZ you played, but vanilla never had that much to it.

And temperature, rest, and crafting (the crafting in the standalone is a joke) playing a role as well. I don't know how those aren't "big features" as those are all what make it "realistic".
---
#7TheC0ndemnedOne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 4:47:36 PM
bsballa09 posted...
The movement in the Real Virtuality engine is already horrid to begin with. Add that much latency to it, it would be virtually (pun) impossible to play.

Can you elaborate? How exactly would the movement and latency clash?

In games like Counter-Strike, the movement is pretty fluid and things are fast-paced, so it would be a nightmare for someone with a high latency.
However, from what I've played of the Arma 2 demo and what I've seen of Arma 3/DayZ on YouTube, movement is pretty slow and the games are rarely fast-paced.

Also, when are vehicles expected to be added to standalone? Watching people drive in Arma 3 is one of the things I liked the most.
---
Steam: Sydite
#8CommonJoePosted 12/27/2013 4:51:21 PM
Rest goes with tents (and it barely worked in the mod anyway so I don't know where you're going with that one)

Temperature was a joke. You only ever had to worry about it if you went swimming or on a boat, and even then.

And there was no crafting in the mod. You could combine certain things yes, but it was no where near the level of the Standalone.

Frankly you're full of crap or you never actually played vanilla DayZ. Or both, I'm not picky.
---
#9CommonJoePosted 12/27/2013 4:55:58 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
bsballa09 posted...

Can you elaborate? How exactly would the movement and latency clash?

In games like Counter-Strike, the movement is pretty fluid and things are fast-paced, so it would be a nightmare for someone with a high latency.
However, from what I've played of the Arma 2 demo and what I've seen of Arma 3/DayZ on YouTube, movement is pretty slow and the games are rarely fast-paced.

Also, when are vehicles expected to be added to standalone? Watching people drive in Arma 3 is one of the things I liked the most.

More than likely you would be rubberbanding all over the place.

And vechs probably won't be in till sometime next year. (Technically however, they ARE in the game. They just aren't enabled)

What people don't understand about the standalone is that they rebuilt the entire thing from the ground up rather than just polishing the mod. Its not that they couldn't put in all of the features still missing from the mod (most of whats coming though is completely new, and not leftovers from the mod) is that they're trying to make the game functional at every level by slowly adding things.

With the game still in alpha, its going to be much easier to create a smooth working game by adding things bit by bit (and fixing the problems as they arise) than it would be if they added everything at once.
---
#10bsballa09Posted 12/27/2013 4:57:12 PM
CommonJoe posted...
Rest goes with tents (and it barely worked in the mod anyway so I don't know where you're going with that one)

Temperature was a joke. You only ever had to worry about it if you went swimming or on a boat, and even then.

And there was no crafting in the mod. You could combine certain things yes, but it was no where near the level of the Standalone.

Frankly you're full of crap or you never actually played vanilla DayZ. Or both, I'm not picky.

And yet they are adding everything I listed in the standalone.
---