This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why is Valve against alt-F4 and iron sights?

#11mikewu1Posted 12/27/2013 11:25:12 PM
ryouma17 posted...
left4dead is pray and spray anyways, you dont need iron sights, or scopes. same with portal no reason to use iron sights specially since the portal gun doesnt have 1

its spray and pray
#12thatauthor(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 11:29:20 PM
left4dead is pray and spray anyways, you dont need iron sights, or scopes. same with portal no reason to use iron sights specially since the portal gun doesnt have 1

actually, Portal 2 is the only game that has iron sights you can use. probably because there can be some far off walls.
---
Bam, I claimed it. ~ fkas
#13kobalobasileusPosted 12/28/2013 1:17:38 AM
thrashmetal59 posted...
Iron sights are fantastic...If they're implemented correctly and realistically.

Unfortunately they're just used as an "all shots go straight here" mechanism most of the time.

And what exactly is wrong with having a gun that shoots where you point it?
#14AllmatteredPosted 12/28/2013 2:07:36 AM
DerPancake posted...
Eclypse9810 posted...
Iron sights are pro-cinematic/analog stick and anti-gameplay/KB&M. They're keeping their priorities straight.

Oh really how come iron sights first appeared on a PC FPS?

If you're referring to Wolfenstein 3D, then you're wrong. Call of Duty was actually the first ever game to have iron sights that you could actually USE. But yeah, it was a PC exclusive back then.
#15monkeypeelPosted 12/28/2013 2:12:22 AM
thankfully valve knows iron sights suck.

off topic but 1 thing i dont understand with the Black Mesa mod....why did the remake team (fans of the original) even bother adding iron sights to the remake.
#16killkountPosted 12/28/2013 2:13:52 AM
kobalobasileus posted...
thrashmetal59 posted...
Iron sights are fantastic...If they're implemented correctly and realistically.

Unfortunately they're just used as an "all shots go straight here" mechanism most of the time.

most shooters treat bullets as if they were beams of light, no drop and all that.
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#17PerpetualPanikPosted 12/28/2013 5:56:08 AM(edited)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitscan.

Relevant:
"As another example, the assault rifle in Half-Life 2 calls a hitscan function in the middle of a 'blazing gun' animation, creating a small amount of lag between weapon deployment and the hitting of the target to better approximate real-life ballistics.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz / 1.41v | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | ASUS GTX TITAN
#18johnny_payPosted 12/28/2013 7:38:42 AM
Allmattered posted...
DerPancake posted...
Eclypse9810 posted...
Iron sights are pro-cinematic/analog stick and anti-gameplay/KB&M. They're keeping their priorities straight.

Oh really how come iron sights first appeared on a PC FPS?

If you're referring to Wolfenstein 3D, then you're wrong. Call of Duty was actually the first ever game to have iron sights that you could actually USE. But yeah, it was a PC exclusive back then.

Cod wasn't the first game to use iron sights actually.
#19thatauthor(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 9:47:56 AM
From: kobalobasileus | Posted: 12/28/2013 3:17:38 AM | #013

I agree, though I think they either mean the guns are too accurate or what killkount said

Wolfenstein 3D has iron sights?
---
What the f*** was that mess? ~ Baseman
#20Gmoney-Posted 12/28/2013 9:59:30 AM
CS is just better without it. Rather control my bursting then have magical shoot straight here powers.
---
"Nothing is true.Everything is permitted."