This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ISP putting monthly caps is BS

#31PHOENIXZEROPosted 12/28/2013 1:41:31 AM
I have a cap of 150GB which I get very close to going over every few months and that results in a $10 fee for another 50GB, was thinking about going to Charter to get a connection that's up to five times faster than my current one until I found out they had a 100GB cap... >_>

And yeah, bandwidth caps are bull ****, especially as bandwidth, last I checked is expanding at a much faster rate than consumption.
#32Ada-Wong-FanPosted 12/28/2013 2:12:46 AM
I have Shaw's Internet Package 50 which has 400GB Cap
Canada Only good Priced Internet ISP: Shaw all other Brands are Huge Ripoffs such as Rogers Telus
---
I really hope Final Fantasy XV is released by June 2014 within Japan, Final Fantasy XV is released by December 26 2014 for International.
#33kbe2k2Posted 12/28/2013 2:13:16 AM
Most ISPs at least where I live also provide satellite or cable television and I believe they're enforcing caps (they all do here) because they don't want people signing up to Netflix or just watching stuff in general off the internet instead of subscribing to one of their crappy television packages that have like 50 audio only music channels and like 50 foreign language channels and just piles of commercial filled crap, instead of watching exactly what you want online and commercial free.

Just a theory.
#34johnny_payPosted 12/28/2013 2:52:03 AM
reading about all these north americans and their data caps make me sad. i have unlimited internet on both my broadband and mobile phone. and i only pay 30 ($50) a month for both.
#35codyorrPosted 12/28/2013 4:09:54 AM
Incendia_Intus posted...
Boohoo. My cap is 10GB/month.
#36JaghavePosted 12/28/2013 4:39:07 AM
su27Chaos posted...
I don't know about anyone but IMO it's nice to have a uncap because from I seen in past 12 months. Newer technology now focus on cloud storage and later on they want gaming there on the cloud storage. How the **** if technology going advance when you put caps. It's ISP's fault for not being prepared in the first place

I do backups on like because I do photography and 7 hard drives of 3TB isn't enough so I rely on cloud storage. Lately I'm transfering over 1500 GBs from another storage website because it's faster and cheaper I paid $96 for 5 years/unlimited storage.

So now that I said that here is my records

Example
Bandwidth record
December: 1200 GB <-- I'm currently doing transfer backups (from pogoplug to zoolz I have tons of RAW files from my Canon EOS 5D MK2) but without the transfer it would be like October.
November: 300 GB
October: 100 GB
September: 200 GB

Imagine having that stupid cap of 250GB per month.

I would have hit the max 6 times in a row. I think it's way better to have it done in one month than 6 months.

My bandwidth record at home is 4.5tb fios internet 150mb/75mb
On my phone 1tb with Verizon lte I still have unlimited
---
I7-2600k OC @ 4.10GHZ | GeForce GTX 780TI | 8 GB DDR3. http://www.backloggery.com/jaghave
I fought the law and the law lost
#37su27Chaos(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 6:04:58 AM
Jaghave posted...
su27Chaos posted...
I don't know about anyone but IMO it's nice to have a uncap because from I seen in past 12 months. Newer technology now focus on cloud storage and later on they want gaming there on the cloud storage. How the **** if technology going advance when you put caps. It's ISP's fault for not being prepared in the first place

I do backups on like because I do photography and 7 hard drives of 3TB isn't enough so I rely on cloud storage. Lately I'm transfering over 1500 GBs from another storage website because it's faster and cheaper I paid $96 for 5 years/unlimited storage.

So now that I said that here is my records

Example
Bandwidth record
December: 1200 GB <-- I'm currently doing transfer backups (from pogoplug to zoolz I have tons of RAW files from my Canon EOS 5D MK2) but without the transfer it would be like October.
November: 300 GB
October: 100 GB
September: 200 GB

Imagine having that stupid cap of 250GB per month.

I would have hit the max 6 times in a row. I think it's way better to have it done in one month than 6 months.

My bandwidth record at home is 4.5tb fios internet 150mb/75mb
On my phone 1tb with Verizon lte I still have unlimited

How did you get a plan like that for LTE? I check website I see no unlimited. I use both T-mobile on my phone and Verizon LTE on tablet. I wanted maximum coverage when I work. Usually I get close the 2GB on my Verizon side. Also what is the price for unlimited?
---
American products is good go buy them.
#38MaxCHEATER64Posted 12/28/2013 6:33:02 AM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
Are caps for home internet common? I've never known anyone with one, just on phones and the like.

Pretty much this. I actually have the cheapest internet plan possible to have in my area (3mbps down, 0.5 mbps up) and I'm not capped in any wya.
---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GM RAM
#39LordSeiferPosted 12/28/2013 6:47:04 AM
i think if you are using 1500 gigs a month you should be paying more than me.

however, putting caps at like 20 gigs is a joke
---
^ this
#40Stabs2503Posted 12/28/2013 7:10:49 AM
Caps on Internet is common practice up here in Canada. We pay a crazy amount of money for the service and until a few months ago we were with Rogers and a cap of 120GB until we finally had enough and switched to bell fibe with unlimited data, no cap. It is heaven compared to the ripoff artists at Rogers. I pay over 80 bucks a month for my iPhone 4 with 1gb data and my10. Canada pays the most for wireless usage and Internet, it's so dumb
---
Sent from iPhone PowerFAQs.