This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ISP putting monthly caps is BS

#61josh_bazzellPosted 12/28/2013 3:55:21 PM
We have mediacom here, and it has a 250 GB cap, it pops up a stupid message if you are getting close or went over, and they charge you like 15 bucks for each so many GB after that. STUPID. My comp crashed and I had to redownload all my movies and shows as well as music and games, I broke the cap in one day...
---
My gaming rig: ASUS G73JW: I7 740qm, 8 gigs ddr3, Nvidia Geforce 460m.
I like single player games. Nothing is quite as enjoyable as playing with myself.
#62PHOENIXZEROPosted 12/28/2013 6:48:22 PM
kbe2k2 posted...
Most ISPs at least where I live also provide satellite or cable television and I believe they're enforcing caps (they all do here) because they don't want people signing up to Netflix or just watching stuff in general off the internet instead of subscribing to one of their crappy television packages that have like 50 audio only music channels and like 50 foreign language channels and just piles of commercial filled crap, instead of watching exactly what you want online and commercial free.

Just a theory.

This is more fact than theory because it absolutely has a lot to do with it.

turbogoon posted...
If you have comcast for your isp get the business class service. It's the same price as the residential but you can get a static ip and there is no cap. Only downside is it requires a contract

Having a static IP is a downside too IMO unless you're hosting something.
#63ArthasRebornPosted 12/28/2013 7:03:57 PM
PHOENIXZERO posted...
kbe2k2 posted...

Most ISPs at least where I live also provide satellite or cable television and I believe they're enforcing caps (they all do here) because they don't want people signing up to Netflix or just watching stuff in general off the internet instead of subscribing to one of their crappy television packages that have like 50 audio only music channels and like 50 foreign language channels and just piles of commercial filled crap, instead of watching exactly what you want online and commercial free.

Just a theory.

This is more fact than theory because it absolutely has a lot to do with it.

Definitely. When Netflix launched in Canada, Rogers decreased the cap of one of their plans from 95GB to 80GB with no warning at all.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/arthasreborn
http://i.imgur.com/0Zamww5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PDgXlnY.jpg
#64silvergokuZPosted 12/28/2013 7:40:04 PM
Its not too bad in the UK provided you live in a reasonable sized town or pretty much any city since companies put their own hardware into the phone exchange so can offer real unlimited for cheap prices.

Real cable broadband is very fast but capped and expensive though, capped in the sense that if you are on say a 50 meg connection and download more than 2 or 3 gig during the day hours and no during the night you are capped to about 3 or 4 meg which defeats the purpose and many suppliers cap P2P of any kind.

There is 3 types of broadband really in my town, old type which is up to 8 meg depending on distance and line quality, up to 24 meg depending on the same, and mixed fibre and cable which is being rolled out around the UK, it IS available in my town but the problem is I am in a small flat/apartment and wired into a pole and only the houses can get it as they are wired into a cabinet meaning I pay for a 6 meg connection where my neighbours pay the same and get 80 meg.
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#65bjay88Posted 12/28/2013 10:55:44 PM
cap at my parents place is 2gig per month at 56k. Only thing available in the area, extremely expensive as its satellite, was like $70 a month.
Thankfully I moved out as I'd often blow that cap in a day easy.
---
This space intentionally left blank.
#66ryan0991Posted 12/28/2013 11:35:54 PM
bjay88 posted...
cap at my parents place is 2gig per month at 56k. Only thing available in the area, extremely expensive as its satellite, was like $70 a month.
Thankfully I moved out as I'd often blow that cap in a day easy.

It's impossible to even download that much in a day on 56k speeds. You sure it was 56k?
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#67Ada-Wong-FanPosted 12/28/2013 11:40:25 PM
I have 3 Family Members uses Steaming two us Uses Netflix few hours pre Day remaining uses Youtube Few Hours
Luck i have 400GB Data Plan so i never go over Cap
---
I really hope Final Fantasy XV is released by June 2014 within Japan, Final Fantasy XV is released by December 26 2014 for International.
#68chase1234lifePosted 12/28/2013 11:43:06 PM
Brighthouse/Roadrunner here.

90Mb/s down 20Mb/s up, NO CAP.

=)
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
#69jelly2008Posted 12/29/2013 12:47:00 AM
I envy you all. I only got 10 GB of usage for 3 months:( Was 15 before, but MTS reduced it. Wireless Net.
---
Intel C2D E7500/ Intel DG41RQ/ CM GX550W Bronze/ ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU/ 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM/ Seagate 320GB + 1TB HDD/ Hitachi 250GB HDD/ Win 8.1 64-bit