This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do I get my monitor to recognize the video card?

#11LordSeiferPosted 12/29/2013 7:31:45 AM
considering he just built the computer, it seems unlikely its an incredibly rare monitor fault
---
^ this
#12arleasPosted 12/29/2013 9:03:37 AM(edited)
You get the card and the monitor together and you say "Card, this is monitor... Monitor, this is card" and after they shake hands, the card should recognize the monitor.

Serious answer: If you don't even see a bios screen, then you probably plugged the monitor into the wrong port.... OR the video card isn't getting enough power or it's not properly in the slot... calm down, unplug the computer and remove and reseat the card making sure it's in there good, and of course make sure your video card is what you're plugged into and not the on-board video which is probably disabled...

Rereading the OP, it looks like he hasn't actually done anything... so yeah, when you first turn the computer on after everything is hooked up, you should see a bios screen briefly and then it should start booting.

---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#13HydroCannabinolPosted 12/29/2013 9:16:35 AM
20 bucks says the PC isn't POSTing.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#14rayneotacon(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 10:57:25 AM
arleas posted...
Serious answer: If you don't even see a bios screen, then you probably plugged the monitor into the wrong port....

I eventually just skipped trying to get the video card to work and did everything without it. Got a successful boot and installed Windows (which now leads to a different problem).

OR the video card isn't getting enough power

This might be possible. I mean, its fans start up, if that means anything.

or it's not properly in the slot... calm down, unplug the computer and remove and reseat the card making sure it's in there good,

Just quadruple checked. It's in there as good as it's going to be.
#15rayneotacon(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 12:57:45 PM
Seriously, I've been asking people for help for three days now.
#16ClouddxPosted 12/29/2013 1:03:38 PM
Did you try turning off integrated graphics in the bios?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#17rayneotacon(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 1:14:45 PM
Clouddx posted...
Did you try turning off integrated graphics in the bios?

I don't know how to do that.
#18Fade2black001Posted 12/29/2013 1:17:39 PM
Do people seriously fail this much on this board? Not one has mentioned to install drivers. Geez... TC install your GPU drivers and that should be that then.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#19d209999Posted 12/29/2013 1:26:06 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
Do people seriously fail this much on this board? Not one has mentioned to install drivers. Geez... TC install your GPU drivers and that should be that then.

Video cards are able to display to a monitor without AMD or Nvidia drivers just fine.

The fact that TC is getting no display on the monitor means either the card is dead, the monitor is dead, or he hasn't plugged something in correctly.
---
*under construction*
#20HydroCannabinolPosted 12/29/2013 1:27:02 PM
Fade2black001 posted...

Nah, you're just ignorant. You don't need the latest drivers for the gpu to display video. How do you think people use motherboards with no integrated graphics?

I love ignorant irony.

Tc: it appears now that your pc fails to POST while the gpu is in so it could be a few things still. Could be bad slot, try another. Could be bad power, but unlikely if you crosschecked all the requirments and plugged it in correctly, or it could be a bad card. Hard to test without spare parts though but if you absolutely cannot troubleshoot it I would RMA the gpu and try a new one.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil