This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First build advice?

#1MrtyuPosted 12/28/2013 6:18:53 AM
My first build and while I've double checked I'm not sure about all the in's and out's. Just in case I wanted to post my chosen components to make sure they're all compatible or/and optimal.

83 CPU - AMD FX 6300 Six 3.50GHz 14.)MB AM3+
30 RAM - Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Module
38 HDD - WD Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKX (I could upgrade to 1TB for 7 extra)
54 Motherboard - Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard (AMD 970/SB950, DDR3, 6 x S-ATA 600, ATX, PCI-Express 2.0, USB 3.0, Socket AM3+)
140 GPU - MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming 2GB GDDR5
55 PSU - Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply Unit

This is my first time posting on this board so if I've done something wrong I apologise. I know this is the wrong board but it seems more lively than the hardware discussion board.
#2Flaktrooper123Posted 12/28/2013 6:28:18 AM
Seeing the current games, I suggest you get 8GB of RAM.
#3Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 6:33:11 AM
It may not seem it but I'm trying to keep the cost relatively low, at some point I will add another 4GB, thanks.
#4tiger8191Posted 12/28/2013 7:08:34 AM
I posted in the thread you made on the other board but just in case, 600w is overkill in this build. Grab a cheaper 500w and use the savings to get the ram that is way more needed.
---
www.youtube.com/user/FearsomeBeaver
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
#5MadPinoRagePosted 12/28/2013 7:44:04 AM
I was on deployment when I planned building my first PC. That gave me plenty of time to compare parts and delay purchasing until I came home. www.pcpartpicker.com is a great resource for putting a build together because it will list various prices, discounts, and offers from numerous online retailers. Also, you'll more than likely have a list of compatible parts, but it's always a good idea to double check. I think 8-12 GB of RAM is a good choice. I've been at 8 GB for 2 years with no noticeable problems or serious malfunctions. I don't know if this is possible with mid- or regular-sized cases, but I thought it would have been oversight if I didn't make sure the mobo would fit inside and seat properly inside the case. I picked up a power supply with an extra 200(300?) volts for upgrading.

It's almost been two years, and my PC has been running fine playing most games on ultra without problems. I'm not a major programmer or video/audio editor, but I've shared my computer with friends with them having no problems at all. In a couple of years(or if I had the money now), I think some things I would do differently would be using SSD instead of HDD, getting a motherboard with the appropriate PCI slots so I could dual SLI, and just buying a wireless network card (for a while I bridged the network through ethernet with my laptop which was really difficult and took me months to discover there was an easier way to go about it).
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein