This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First build advice?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First build advice?
2 years ago#1
My first build and while I've double checked I'm not sure about all the in's and out's. Just in case I wanted to post my chosen components to make sure they're all compatible or/and optimal.

83 CPU - AMD FX 6300 Six 3.50GHz 14.)MB AM3+
30 RAM - Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Module
38 HDD - WD Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKX (I could upgrade to 1TB for 7 extra)
54 Motherboard - Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard (AMD 970/SB950, DDR3, 6 x S-ATA 600, ATX, PCI-Express 2.0, USB 3.0, Socket AM3+)
140 GPU - MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming 2GB GDDR5
55 PSU - Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply Unit

This is my first time posting on this board so if I've done something wrong I apologise. I know this is the wrong board but it seems more lively than the hardware discussion board.
2 years ago#2
Seeing the current games, I suggest you get 8GB of RAM.
2 years ago#3
It may not seem it but I'm trying to keep the cost relatively low, at some point I will add another 4GB, thanks.
2 years ago#4
I posted in the thread you made on the other board but just in case, 600w is overkill in this build. Grab a cheaper 500w and use the savings to get the ram that is way more needed.
2 years ago#5
I was on deployment when I planned building my first PC. That gave me plenty of time to compare parts and delay purchasing until I came home. is a great resource for putting a build together because it will list various prices, discounts, and offers from numerous online retailers. Also, you'll more than likely have a list of compatible parts, but it's always a good idea to double check. I think 8-12 GB of RAM is a good choice. I've been at 8 GB for 2 years with no noticeable problems or serious malfunctions. I don't know if this is possible with mid- or regular-sized cases, but I thought it would have been oversight if I didn't make sure the mobo would fit inside and seat properly inside the case. I picked up a power supply with an extra 200(300?) volts for upgrading.

It's almost been two years, and my PC has been running fine playing most games on ultra without problems. I'm not a major programmer or video/audio editor, but I've shared my computer with friends with them having no problems at all. In a couple of years(or if I had the money now), I think some things I would do differently would be using SSD instead of HDD, getting a motherboard with the appropriate PCI slots so I could dual SLI, and just buying a wireless network card (for a while I bridged the network through ethernet with my laptop which was really difficult and took me months to discover there was an easier way to go about it).
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First build advice?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived