This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As a complete newcomer to Morrowind, how should I do my first play through?

#1Gogetoss4Posted 12/28/2013 9:06:17 AM
Got into PC gaming late and wasn't so into RPGs then. Got Morrowind when it was on sale. How has the game aged? Should just mod it to hell straight away or play a bit before modding?
---
i5 2400 | Asus P8H67-M LE | CM Storm Enforcer | Sapphire HD7870 XT | Asus Xonar DG | Silverstone 600W | FA-003/2W HE | Ducky Shine Blue
Steam ID: XHale931
#2ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/28/2013 9:19:14 AM
Play it vanilla. Go with the long blade skill, and get the sword of white woe from one of the guard towers in Balmora.
#3dekouPosted 12/28/2013 9:32:02 AM(edited)
I'd install Morrowind Overhaul 3.

http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

Morrowind is an old and buggy game. Even the Complete Edition you bought is very buggy. This mod complation fixes many of the bugs and makes MW look nice in the process. I don't think anything is lost, unless you consider ugly visuals and a 20m draw distance features instead of nuisances. It doesn't change gameplay much, but there are options to fix some things that don't make much sense in the original, such as enchantments not affecting the cost of items. You have to select those manually, so you can go for the vanilla experience, too, if you want.

Gameplay wise, keep in mind that MW is much less forgiving than Oblivion and Skyrim. Pick a race and skills that compliment each other. Don't try to be an axe-wielding High Elf warrior in heavy armor. Unless you absolutely want to, of course, because it can work. At start, you're very weak. You can take on a worm. Maybe. Stick to towns and roads, join a guild, get good equipment and don't be afraid of turning around and walking away if you face something you can't kill.
#4ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/28/2013 9:33:13 AM
dekou posted...

I wouldn't. Just get the Morrowind code patch for the fixes, and play it how it was meant to be played. It was the last Elder Scrolls game to actually be good without mods.
#5Eclypse9810Posted 12/28/2013 9:49:52 AM
Go along with the town quests, then when you're out about to kill a monster, save. Afterwards, start swinging. After half an hour, one of you should be dead. If it's you, load and repeat. If it's the monster, save and repeat. Repeat this until you have equipment that isn't total ****, at which point the game actually becomes enjoyable.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#6wizardmonPosted 12/28/2013 9:53:43 AM
A few protips

Easiest melee start you can get is with redguard, strength, agility, Longsword, heavy armor. (sign, the warrior) With these selected you will hit much more often, and hit really hard with two handed longswords. If you find something that you have trouble killing you can use Adrenaline Rush to help you out - just don't fall below 25 health when you use that ability as you can die from it due to the way Fortify Health works in the game.

When your fighting, keep your fatigue up and don't run into combat. Walking lets your fatigue restore, so give that a chance to fully restore before entering a battle. getting a low level healing spell isn't a bad idea - even if you aren't a dedicated magic user it's worth it incase you run out of potions, just don't rely on it in battle.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#7Doomsday FortePosted 12/28/2013 10:12:46 AM
Save before you sleep (or leave autosave on rest enabled), since Tribunal adds a chance an assassin will pop up and try to kill you. He has a rather nice set of light armor, so he's worth taking out.

I think in the Code Path exe there's an option for one-button spell casting. Enable it, since having to switch between weapons or magic is a little annoying. Magic doesn't have accuracy issues but Magicka doesn't regenerate automatically in this game.

The easiest way to level spells is to spam custom 1 Magicka spells for that school. Whether or not you want to do that is up to you. They won't cost very much gold either, just you'll need to know the effect which might break the bank.

Endurance gives you more HP, but it doesn't apply retroactively, so many people suggest you get a Spear and Heavy Armor and get Endurance to 100 ASAP. There are some mods that will at least fix this. Or the somewhat counter-intuitive leveling scheme in general (I suggest Madd Leveler).

Unarmed/Hand-to-Hand is a weak weapon, but it's kinda fun when it's stronger because it damages Stamina before Health, and when you hit negative Stamina, you take a quick nap. Something to keep in mind when you fight someone who is barehanded, but if you make use of it, you can get in several free shots.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#8CommonJoePosted 12/28/2013 11:52:34 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
dekou posted...

I wouldn't. Just get the Morrowind code patch for the fixes, and play it how it was meant to be played. It was the last Elder Scrolls game to actually be good without mods.

This. Give the game at least an hour before you start modding visuals. Even today, Morrowin'd art direction is still fantastic and it would be a shame if you didn't give yourself the time to appreciate the atmosphere the game can create without mods.

Endurance gives you more HP, but it doesn't apply retroactively, so many people suggest you get a Spear and Heavy Armor and get Endurance to 100 ASAP. There are some mods that will at least fix this. Or the somewhat counter-intuitive leveling scheme in general (I suggest Madd Leveler).

You don't have to do this as long as you don't mind a slightly more challenging experience. Outside of a very specific quest the OP will likely not see on his first playthrough (I would be genuinely surprised if he discovers it on his own) and a dungeon in Tribuna, high health is completely unnecessary.

There is a reason after all that all the skills that train endurance (and thus provide higher health increases) also provide you ways to absorb, mitigate, or outright avoid damage. Thus when training them together they also provide a buffer to that same end.

There are multiple things in the game however that also serve this purpose. Magic is obvious, and stealth should be as well. (You sneak to avoid damage, use speed when you can't use stealth, etc)

Long story short, if your solution to staying alive is making sure you can survive someone pommeling you for an hour and you're not a warrior in Heavy Armor, you're doing it wrong.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#9Born LuckyPosted 12/28/2013 12:16:33 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Play it vanilla

I actually completely agree with this.

It's a fantastic game right out of the box.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#10AshleyXRiotPosted 12/28/2013 12:25:36 PM
get a lot of mods, a lot of overhaul and a lot of time.... i garantee that you wont finish the game if you still a lot of mods