This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As a complete newcomer to Morrowind, how should I do my first play through?

#31wizardmonPosted 12/28/2013 6:41:26 PM(edited)
Ningishzida posted...
i remember when protips didn't mean "general tips from fellow amateurs that have been known by everyone for more than ten years"

Wow don't be so hostile, I gave him the easiest to understand easy mode starting that would reduce most of the "I'm swinging my sword but I never land hits! This game sucks!!" complaints.

I'm so sorry for giving someone who's never played a game like this a good starting point which would help his first impressions of the game enough that he'd actually complete it, and perhaps even try different builds.

Also, not an amateur, Morrowind is my most played game with over 2500 hours. I've done every quest in the game and have collected every unique item in the game too.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#32sauruschamp1Posted 12/28/2013 7:16:22 PM
great game lots of fun. I found the overhaul mod good as it didnt change the vanilla game too much but tweaks it slightly unlike some overhaul mods for other games ie skyrim.

Starting off it will be very difficult and the melee combat has this thing where you have a chance to miss eve if it looks like you should of hit them and it plays a different noise. This goes down with the higher your level so the best way to fix this is to choose skills that go with your race or choose a race that matches your skills. For example a dunmer gets a +10 to short blade and +5 to mysticism so choose your main skills as short blade and mysticim that way you get the +10 and then you get the extra levels for making it your main skill so it starts off as high as possible to minimise the amount you will miss by. Also mysticism is handy as it gives you a spell that drains health from enemies which is handy to heal with.

Also dont be afraid to use npcs to train you in return for money as this can be a great help especially early on. Once you have got a fair way into the story it gets a lot easier.
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian 3DS ID: 1848-2118-1570
Origin and SteamID: Zarosio
#33ClouddxPosted 12/28/2013 7:17:46 PM
Just get a ton of graphical mods, and try and play thru it vanilla combat wise.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#34NingishzidaPosted 12/28/2013 7:31:11 PM
Inferno700 posted...
Great idea! To be original though I think I'm going to use forks.

ok, but cutlery forks are also for killing demi-gods like Vivec.
#35mikewu1Posted 12/28/2013 7:36:52 PM
Morrowind sucks
#36Inferno700Posted 12/28/2013 7:42:09 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Inferno700 posted...
Great idea! To be original though I think I'm going to use forks.

ok, but cutlery forks are also for killing demi-gods like Vivec.

Or you could just use the Fork of Horripilation.
---
NNID: Jesus_Is_God 3DS FC: 3952-8112-9436
Steam ID: Inferno700
#37AlleRacingPosted 12/28/2013 7:42:23 PM
I'd recommend playing vanilla for at least a little bit just to appreciate how significant the overhaul mod is. It's also by no means the only mod you could/should use, it's simply geared toward improving bugs and vanilla style graphics as much as possible. There are tons of other great mods to choose from on mod sites like PlanetElderScrolls or TESNexus.

That said, I'll recommend Wizardmon's advice if you want a really easy starting class. It's pretty much geared toward giving you the highest hit chance possible, since Redguards start with +15 Longblade, a Strength specialization grants an extra +5, starting you at 50 Longblade if you pick it as a major skill, then the extra Agility and +10 Attack from The Warrior sign make it even more likely for you to hit.

However, even more important than that, especially early game, is fatigue. Fatigue, for better or worse, determines the likelihood of success for pretty much every action in the game. Having low fatigue is going to severely handicap your ability to do pretty much anything, especially starting out with very low skills. Conversely, having very high fatigue will tend to make your actions much more successful, even with low skills. Always try to go into combat with high fatigue, especially early on. A character in the first town who you will likely be directed towards is Arille. If you ask him for advice he'll recommend Scrolls of Vigor and Vitality. The latter seems like a no-brainer, but the former is still important, and there's a good reason he recommends them. Keeping high fatigue will help ensure you don't experience the *miss* *miss* *miss* in combat that turns most people off from the game.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#38Majoras_pantsPosted 12/28/2013 7:43:48 PM
Mod the hell out of it. It's a decent game vanilla, or was 10 years ago, but it's so much better with a good modset.

At the very least, do MGO to make it look ok. If you insist on not altering the gameplay for your first time through you can stop there.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#39LoshadtPosted 12/28/2013 7:45:44 PM
Majoras_pants posted...
Mod the hell out of it. It's a decent game vanilla, or was 10 years ago, but it's so much better with a good modset.

At the very least, do MGO to make it look ok. If you insist on not altering the gameplay for your first time through you can stop there.

---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#40josh_bazzellPosted 12/29/2013 9:05:24 PM
Do it naked, thats the best way.
---
My gaming rig: ASUS G73JW: I7 740qm, 8 gigs ddr3, Nvidia Geforce 460m.
I like single player games. Nothing is quite as enjoyable as playing with myself.