This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what is a good internet speed? 25mb vs 5mb

#11killkountPosted 12/28/2013 5:25:57 PM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Xialoh posted...
The hell? I've got 58 down, 10 up, and I thought I was on the low end of what most PC gamers use. What's going on here.

I'd pay a LOT of money for a connection a tenth of that speed.

tell me about it... paying $75 for 1.5Mb...
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#12TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 12/28/2013 5:28:42 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
mb=/=MB=/=Mb. Most providers advertise their service as Mb/megabits, vs MB/megabytes, or mb/millibits.

Don't forget MiB and Mibit
---
Steam: Sydite
#13XialohPosted 12/28/2013 6:53:41 PM
killkount posted...
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Xialoh posted...
The hell? I've got 58 down, 10 up, and I thought I was on the low end of what most PC gamers use. What's going on here.

o_o. What exactly did you switch to from Comcast?
---
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
#14SchwubPosted 12/28/2013 6:58:50 PM
I highly recommend getting Verizon FIOS, it's the best!
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3194018922
#15Majoras_pantsPosted 12/28/2013 6:59:28 PM
24 mbps up and 5 down

It's plenty for me.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#16silvergokuZPosted 12/28/2013 7:01:52 PM
At my old house had 24 meg and loved it, I used to find it annoying when I bought 2 games on steam which were about 6 gig each and couldnt use my internet for about 4 hours, now I only have 3.5 meg so updates alone can take hours out of my day sometimes if I get a few at once.
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#17_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 12/28/2013 7:11:27 PM
25 is of course better than 5. Do you need it and is it worth it? That depends on the difference between the prices and what you intend to use it for.

Personally I would not be able to deal with 5mb, and would go for 25 unless the price was extremely unreasonable.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#18TheWayOfTheGunPosted 12/28/2013 7:18:07 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
mb=/=MB=/=Mb. Most providers advertise their service as Mb/megabits, vs MB/megabytes, or mb/millibits.

I have a 50Mb connection now and I'm super happy with it, I can download games faster than I can install them via DVD. 5Mb is what I had before and anything slower than that I would call bad, with 5Mb falling into usable.

E: Also, most routers cap out at about 20Mb/s, as do most wifi devices. Faster is starting to become available but you'd probably have to go out and buy all new stuff. If you plan on using WIFI most of the time then the 25Mb package would be plenty.

It's the Ultimate marketing gimmick.

25Mbs sounds so much better than 3MB's, yet the latter is the only unit that makes sense in the way we use computers.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#19staleyoptionPosted 12/28/2013 7:59:36 PM
Until a couple of months ago had 7mb adsl with no cap for 60 per month. Would have been ok accept it was horribly unreliable.

Now upgraded to the fastest connection available in my area. 35mb cable with a 500 gig download cap that costs 120 per month. Really expensive but i couldn't take having a poor connection anymore.

Internet in Australia sucks for the most part. We seem to be miles behind that rest of the developed world.
#20killkountPosted 12/28/2013 8:03:19 PM
Xialoh posted...
killkount posted...
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Xialoh posted...

o_o. What exactly did you switch to from Comcast?

moved into a house out in the boonies and this is the only thing available. It's a depressing first world problem. >_>

The crappiest thing about it is it drops connection. When I'm downloading a game it'll jump to like 200kb/s then drop to zero for a few. Rinse and repeat. Ugh.
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif