This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For my personal needs, is it better to use a R9 290x or a 780ti?

#1silvergokuZPosted 12/28/2013 6:55:44 PM
I got a 290 last week and it runs so hot, if I use hardware acceleration on VLC or flash player after a while depending on resolution of video it goes up to 95 degrees and crashes pc, SD youtube videos go to 70 and over a 30 minute period rise to 95 where a 720p video gets it to 95 within a few minutes.

With that in mind I plan to return it but nore sure to just wait till good coolers are available and get a 290X or just buy a 780ti.

I only really care about 2 or 3 things, first I want hdmi audio to be hassle free(so many problems with my amd cards right now) I want the card to run cool as possible and thats the main issues really, I suppose if I was that bothered I can change the cooler and notice nvidia ones seem cheaper overall

I used Nvidia cards for about 2 years going back 8 years ago and had no issues with them only changed when the Radeon HD series came out and at same time I liked HDMI audio and they have been fairly solid but had far less issues with nvidia but then again I only had limited experience, though my laptop graphics chip was nvidia and ran very hot(though was a well known problem batch)

Gaming wise I use a lot of emulators, and have a large steam library of games I never get round to playing, I also watch a lot of hd stuff on VLC
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#2killkountPosted 12/28/2013 7:00:01 PM
tbh sounds like your 290 is broke.

just go with a 780 if you want a cooler running card though. My card hasn't even seen 90C yet and that's with playing BF4 on Ultra.
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#3TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 12/28/2013 7:03:19 PM
The 780 Ti is a great noob-friendly (no offense, just saying it's hassle-free and will probably have everything you need) top of the line card. You'd probably be fine with it.

A 290X with a custom cooler might be good, though. I heard that the R9 series has some "True Audio" thing you might be interested in. The 780 Ti also supports HD Audio through HDMI, and it works fine, but I'm not sure how it compares to True Audio. Research it and find out.
---
Steam: Sydite
#4killkountPosted 12/28/2013 7:06:01 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
The 780 Ti is a great noob-friendly (no offense, just saying it's hassle-free and will probably have everything you need) top of the line card. You'd probably be fine with it.

A 290X with a custom cooler might be good, though. I heard that the R9 series has some "True Audio" thing you might be interested in. The 780 Ti also supports HD Audio through HDMI, and it works fine, but I'm not sure how it compares to True Audio. Research it and find out.

I'm not even sure what this true audio is all about...how do you even go about using it?
---
#5Flaktrooper123Posted 12/28/2013 7:06:13 PM
If you can afford it, 780ti of course. I know bitcoin miners managed to bump the 280x price that it match the 780ti.
#6Crimson_JesusPosted 12/28/2013 7:10:32 PM
killkount posted...

I'm not even sure what this true audio is all about...how do you even go about using it?

True Audio is a software specific feature, so you can only use it in games that decide to support it, ala PhysX for Nvidia.
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg
#7shdwdrgnixPosted 12/28/2013 7:15:21 PM
well the 780 ti is the best gaming GPU on the planet, so that is a good choice to go for.
#8killkountPosted 12/28/2013 7:17:56 PM
Crimson_Jesus posted...
killkount posted...

True Audio is a software specific feature, so you can only use it in games that decide to support it, ala PhysX for Nvidia.

yea i just Googled it, so as of right now it's no use to me. thanks for the reply though
---
#9silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 7:23:55 PM

I couldnt find any custom coolers around and ones that MIGHT work seem to cost over 100 which means it works out around the 780ti price in total anyway

I have been building pcs for years just wanted a upgrade that would see great fps at great settings at 1080p and have headroom for newer games coming out.

I only have 2 large 50 year old speakers for my plasma via hdmi so it wouldnt benefit I think anyway.

Though the other reason I thought of nvidia is that all of the AMD cards I have owned since the 4870 seem to have a screen tear effect on anything but 60fps games, I noticed this on my old plasma too

Any game native 60fps runs smooth but blu rays and dvds seem to be jumpy in a pan and scan way or have a single line tearing across the screen in movement
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#10killkountPosted 12/28/2013 7:27:09 PM
native 60fps game? what?
---