This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

can you actually discern 320 kbps mp3 and lossless?

#31DarkZV2BetaPosted 12/28/2013 11:20:08 PM
Depends on the song, but mostly, yes.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#32TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 12/28/2013 11:21:29 PM
Chaap posted...
blind tests show that virtually no one can tell the difference between lossless and properly encoded lossy formats so it's curious that so many of you claim to be able to

and by curious i mean "no, you can't tell the difference."

I've read that as well before. But with the right set up, one can definitely tell the difference between properly encoded 128 Kbps and 320 Kbps.
---
Steam: Sydite
#33DV8ingSourcesPosted 12/28/2013 11:23:16 PM
From those examples I can't tell if 1 or 2 is the source but it sounds like 3 is the 128k mp3... just sounds messier.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#34GalcianPosted 12/29/2013 12:09:38 AM
I have never tried
#35OnallionPosted 12/29/2013 4:07:23 AM
If the source is good, the music player is good and the headphones are good...I can definitely tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC. It's not even a small difference, it's pretty noticeable. But again, it all depends on the quality of your listening devices.
#36JowyBlightPosted 12/29/2013 4:42:44 AM
Voted no, I just listen to lousy pop/rock music though.

I remember an amusing thread on Head-fi about this a few years ago, it spanned hundreds of posts with a significant amount of people voting "yes", but almost no one was willing to prove it with a foobar ABX test.
Only a single person did step forward and demonstrated his prowess with a log, all the other golden ears preferred to argue for hours upon hours making every excuse in the book while conveniently skipping over requests such as "just do the ABX test it only takes a few minutes and puts an end to the discussion".

There were so many people who said there was a "night and day difference" between lossy and lossless or that the former became "unlistenable" after having experienced lossless. In some cases it were even people who turned out to transcode from lossy to lossless thinking it made the sound better and claimed it did.

Good times.

So yeah, do an ABX test if you want to prove it, if not to others but just to yourself. It goes quickly and is easily done with the built-in feature foobar has.
---
"Riou...you came. Just like you promised. ...here we are ...here once again."
#37self-immolationPosted 12/29/2013 6:18:44 AM
Onallion posted...
If the source is good, the music player is good and the headphones are good...I can definitely tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC. It's not even a small difference, it's pretty noticeable. But again, it all depends on the quality of your listening devices.

exactly this

quality cd master -> quality flac rip

sometimes i can't tell the difference between a flac rip of a cd from the 80s and the v0 version
---
SMELL THE GASOLINE
I LIGHT THE FIRE INSIDE
#38MaxCHEATER64Posted 12/29/2013 6:25:05 AM
i'm not even sure what any of those words mean
---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GM RAM
#39GipFacePosted 12/29/2013 7:04:16 AM(edited)
I did an ABX with an instrumental piece I personally ripped from a CD (that way, I knew where it was coming from, unlike possible re-encodes off the internet)

I failed the ABX at -V2, which is variable bitrate ~190kbps. I'm using $300 headphones and a $500 amp. I could barely discern -V3 and constant bitrate 160kbps.

Pretty sure there's not much evidence showing that people can routinely tell between 320 and lossless. The only reason to keep lossless is if you're doing karaoke and you need to change the pitch or tempo of certain tracks to adjust for voice ranges. That's where the extra info comes in handy.
#40ShebeskiiPosted 12/29/2013 7:30:41 AM(edited)
I think I have an example:

The song is Entrust by Exivious. It's unlikely any of you know of the band, but they're phenomenal.

Anyway, listen to the drum work, specifically the symbol work out of the right speaker between 1:40 and 3:40.

By all means, listen to the whole album and support this amazing band, but listen to that section specifically for the difference.

It's still subtle, but the minutia is slightly different, especially as you approach 3:40. The quality of the symbol sound isn't quite the same. It feels like it's missing some of the higher end hiss. It sounds ever so slightly more drab and electronic. It's very subtle, but being an owner of the source material I can notice it if I'm looking for it, and I'm on 30 dollar headphones.

And my looking for it I mean listening to the album in complete silence and doing nothing else lol.

Also notice around 1:40 to 1:50 the difference in the quality of the sound of the snare drum hits. The clarity and definition between hits is somewhat lost on the 320kbps version. The hits sound ever so slightly more samey.

This is about as big as the difference gets. It's very small.

They have this song up on Youtube to promote the album, and this is for purely intellectual purposes.

Source at CD quality:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81dwe83p5bnnkto/01%20-%20Exivious%20-%20Liminal%20-%20Entrust.flac

320kbps file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyv5mioswlmcyzd/01%20-%20Exivious%20-%20Liminal%20-%20Entrust.mp3
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens