This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Using a controller for gaming

#1ShadowHunterHQPosted 12/28/2013 10:42:59 PM
Been putting some thought into this. Always been a console game and love using a controller to play games especially action games and such just a preference but not the biggest fan of mouse and keyboard. However I feel I've been missing out on a lot of great games. Sure MMOs and FPS (though again not fond of mouse keyboard) would be played traditionally but want to get a gaming computer and wondering what's a good controller to use for a computer that will be hooked up to TV for games on steam and other means of gaming like em*******?
---
You know its been a good party if there's an open container of butter lying around
Gamer Tag: Penguin Justice
#2phantasyPosted 12/28/2013 10:45:00 PM
xbox 360 controller. Almost every game that supports controller, uses the 360 as its base interface. not to mention all you have to do is plug in in and off you go. no need to mess with any drivers or software.
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#3daemon_danPosted 12/28/2013 10:50:08 PM
Any controller with x-input will work just like a 360 controller. Which means get whatever feels good in your hands. There's also x-input wrappers for Dualshock 3 and 4 which work beautifully which take less than a minute to download and set up
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#4sonic_man00Posted 12/28/2013 10:50:41 PM
I used a DS3 and a Logitech F310. Logitech broke, DS3 doesn't work. I'm getting a Xbox 360 Windows Controller.
---
I'd play more MMOs if there was no chat.
#5TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 12/28/2013 10:53:05 PM
phantasy posted...
xbox 360 controller. Almost every game that supports controller, uses the 360 as its base interface. not to mention all you have to do is plug in in and off you go. no need to mess with any drivers or software.

Some people have issues getting the 360 controller to register in game. I made a guide for this, though:
http://pastebin.com/eRDGeCZB

Also, this is for wired Xbox 360 Controllers. Wireless ones require the Wireless USB Adapter. You cannot use the Play & Charge cable.
---
Steam: Sydite
#6daemon_danPosted 12/28/2013 10:54:14 PM
sonic_man00 posted...
I used a DS3 and a Logitech F310. Logitech broke, DS3 doesn't work. I'm getting a Xbox 360 Windows Controller.

where you using the x-input wrapper?
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#7ClouddxPosted 12/28/2013 10:55:25 PM
I have my PC hooked up to my 42" TV and use an Xbox controller all the time. Games like State of Decay and Dark Souls work excellent with the gamepad, and it's extremely nice to sit back on my couch and play some games.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#8arstosPosted 12/28/2013 10:56:13 PM
personally i love using my ds3 on pc. you have to use motionjoy but playstation controllers are pretty much perfect imo.
---
PSN:Dragonlibrarian
Steam:Dragonlibrarian7
#9DragnfyrPosted 12/28/2013 11:34:03 PM
If you don't already have a DS3 then definitely get an Xbox 360 controller. No point in paying the same amount of money for something that requires extra setup.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#10StycklesPosted 12/29/2013 12:41:20 AM
Clouddx posted...
I have my PC hooked up to my 42" TV and use an Xbox controller all the time. Games like State of Decay and Dark Souls work excellent with the gamepad, and it's extremely nice to sit back on my couch and play some games.

This. For Dark Souls especially. I use a minimal UI mod, because when playing on my monitor I feel like the weapon/item lower left portion of the UI is entirely too large and takes a lot of screen space. Using the mod and a 46 inch TV however, and things are much better. My TV also has better color than my monitor without any tweaking...somehow, despite both being fairly recent Samsung models.

The only caveat is that my TV has...something....perhaps it's due to whatever its refresh rate is, but in a lot of games I notice the entire image gets slightly darker toned when I'm rotating the camera/moving around...basically not standing still. It's quite noticable on things that are already dark but not so much on light colors.