This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best indie/small game this year?

#1DesperateMonkeyPosted 12/29/2013 3:33:04 AM(edited)
Just got a bunch of them on steam sales. Some of them have turned out quite disappointing, especially Brothers: A tale of Two Sons. Boring as hell and takes you to a few nice looking locations. I prefered Dear Esther to be quite honest. Also bought Gone Home, can't wait to play that. Rogue Legacy has been pretty addicting so far as is Don't Starve. I think I like these types of games that have a lot of replayability and exploration, would be nice to get recommendations towards these types of games.

The Stanley Parable I thought was going to be really boring but holy crap, its actually really awesome. Must be one of my favorites this year. Cannot believe how long I've played this game when you can't even do anything in it... Also reminds me of Dear Esther for obvious reasons but in a different league and isn't about showing atmospheric visuals like Esther and Brothers.

Guacamelee is kind of fun but I found it to be way too hyped. The controls aren't that tight and the gameplay is very basic. The visuals aren't that appealing to me either. Will see if I change my mind later since I am barely anywhere in the game. I played Dust: An Elysian Tale a long time ago and I thought that game was much better.

I'm still waiting for Papers, Please, 140 and The Swapper to get a bigger sale. Please let me know what you guys thought were the best indie-esque titles this year!
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#2TowerBooks3192Posted 12/29/2013 4:02:06 AM
Does starbound count? it has my vote. I love its potential and how they do more than terraria. Those guys seem passionate about their work and seem to listen to the community so it is great.

As for strategy, Dominions 4 would have my vote. As a sequel to Dominions 3 and the bang for your buck that it gives you? It sucks as it doesn't have any significant improvements. As a game? it is really great and the best in the series so far.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#3DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 11:57:07 AM
Never heard of those two, will check them out. Starbound looks pretty interesting. I think it was on sale yesterday though....
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#4battlfrnt2006Posted 12/29/2013 12:02:49 PM
I think both Starbound and The Stanley Parable are excellent. Stanley Parable is one of the best I've played this year.
---
GT: CapraDaemon / PSN (Vita/PSP): mtllica / SteamID: falloutnut
Now Playing: Batman Arkham Origins, Ys Celceta, Killzone Mercenary, Forza 4
#5DerPancakePosted 12/29/2013 12:05:49 PM
Euro Truck Simulator 2
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#6ArkonBladePosted 12/29/2013 12:06:10 PM
Guns of Icarus was my personal fav.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#7Cesare_BorgiaPosted 12/29/2013 12:09:07 PM
Strike Suit Zero
#8QuestofChosenPosted 12/29/2013 12:10:12 PM
Outlast or Rogue Legacy for me.
---
Currently playing: Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor: Overclocked, Batman Arkham Origins, and The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
#9SkilzMCPosted 12/29/2013 12:13:22 PM
Hotline Miami, especially because it's one of those indie games that you can show to someone who DOESN'T get into the whole art as games thing, and they can still see it's pretty awesome.
---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
#10Coffee_NursePosted 12/29/2013 12:14:58 PM
Spelunky HD, Rogue Legacy, SteamWorld Dig, Don't Starve, and Risk of Rain for me.

Honorary mentions for Mercenary Kings and Hammerwatch

This was definitely the year for the indie developers.
---
Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes.