This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for an aftermarket CPU HSF that's not too big

#1rab123Posted 12/29/2013 4:56:31 AM
I am looking into a new build in the next few months and will most likely be wanting an aftermarket HSF. It will be an Intel based build and I do not plan to overclock. I've never liked the Intel HSFs because of their pain-in-the-butt method of installation, it just never seems to get a good seat the first time I try it and it doesn't even keep the CPU that cool.

I'd like something that isn't too big. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 looks too big and would like to keep the size around the same as the stock one, if possible.

I also have a question regarding my current CPU and temps. I have an i5-2500k with the stock HSF and the idle temps are ~45C. Load temps when gaming never really go above 55C, but I have seen it occasionally spike up to 60C. Would you recommend that I reseat the HSF and reapply thermal paste or is it fine for what I'm using it for?

Any help is appreciated!
#2ChromaticAngelPosted 12/29/2013 5:19:31 AM
rab123 posted...
I do not plan to overclock. I've never liked the Intel HSFs because of their pain-in-the-butt method of installation

1. If you're not overclocking you don't need an aftermarket HSF.
2. All aftermarket HSF are even more of a pain in the butt to apply than stock HSFs.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#3PraetorXynPosted 12/29/2013 5:25:46 AM
The Hyper 212 is too big? It's just a waterblock with a couple of tubes connected. The radiator mounts over the rear exhaust fan.

There's really no reason to go for small heatsink if you have low profile RAM and your case has sufficient clearance. A good air cooler will be much quieter and almost as good as the top CLC. Phanteks makes the best large heatsink, the PH-TC14PE; they have a low profile heatsink with a single fan like the stock heatsink, but it will mount with backplate hardware instead of those push pins.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#4Lonestar2000Posted 12/29/2013 5:29:57 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
The Hyper 212 is too big? It's just a waterblock with a couple of tubes connected. The radiator mounts over the rear exhaust fan.

There's really no reason to go for small heatsink if you have low profile RAM and your case has sufficient clearance. A good air cooler will be much quieter and almost as good as the top CLC. Phanteks makes the best large heatsink, the PH-TC14PE; they have a low profile heatsink with a single fan like the stock heatsink, but it will mount with backplate hardware instead of those push pins.

The Hyper 212 is not an air cooler any more? How high are you?
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#5rab123(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 5:40:41 AM
The reason I wanted aftermarket was because my current CPU temps seem a little high. When I first built this computer, it would idle ~39C which I also read was a little bit warm. And that the stock HSF sucks. Should I just reapply thermal paste and reseat it or are the temps fine? Everywhere I look online has a different story.
#6Flaktrooper123Posted 12/29/2013 6:00:30 AM
Define too big, or do you just want hassle free? If you don't want big tower heatsink sticking on top of your motherboard, you can either go low profile cooler like NH-L12 and CNPS8900. Alternatively, you can get watercooling kit, such as the H60 or Seidon, but you need somewhere to mount the radiator for these and you get tubes hanging on your CPU.
#7PraetorXynPosted 12/30/2013 7:12:30 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...
PraetorXyn posted...

The Hyper 212 is not an air cooler any more? How high are you?

Pretty damn baked apparently as I was thinking of something else >_>.

Take a look at the Phanteks PH-TC90LS. If you think the Hyper 212 is too big, you're pretty much going to think that about any air cooler that has a radiator, which is mostly all of them. You need ones that are basically just better versions of the stock cooler with easier mounting hardware.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9