This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The eventual decline of console gaming. What should be Sony and MS's move?

#1BirdRobot7553Posted 12/29/2013 7:39:23 AM
It is heading toward a PC only world fast imo. I believe this gen to be that last gen for Sony and MS home consoles. Nintendo should likely survive with the DS for a while more, and maybe even the Wii U. But Nintendo needs to scale back on the money they are spending on upgrading the Wii.

Sony and MS make PC's as well. But I don't think it would work to make gaming PC's and survive off that. Too many people will likely make custom ones. Though doing this may save them regardless.

Then we have the advent of Steam Machines attempting to move PC gaming to the TV easier.

So what should Sony and MS do to compete with the PC market?
#2DragonRaizenPosted 12/29/2013 7:41:36 AM
No.
---
-FREEZE!
-I'm a robot, not your refrigerator.
Marvin
#3Bellum_SacrumPosted 12/29/2013 7:58:43 AM
Rofl, it's heading towards mobiles/tablets and cloud gaming. PC gaming has been dead for like, 10 years now?

You seriously need to educate yourself as to why and how these "console gaming is in decline" statements are made.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#4AlexTheNextOnePosted 12/29/2013 8:03:36 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Rofl, it's heading towards mobiles/tablets and cloud gaming. PC gaming has been dead for like, 10 years now?

You seriously need to educate yourself as to why and how these "console gaming is in decline" statements are made.

I agree. Respectfully, you have no idea what you're talking about, TC.
---
PSN: AlexTheNextOne
Playing: Dragon's Crown, Fallout 3 GOTY (PC), Kingdoms of Amalur
#5Flaktrooper123Posted 12/29/2013 8:07:57 AM
The 'decline' is more to the hardware side if you ask me, and the lost of the original console feel. Remember NES and Sega Genesis back then, and even PS1. They were great living room gaming hardware, and offered an experience you can't get in PC back then. Today's consoles looks like cut down unupgradable PC. However, on the other side, they get more users. The reason is people born after 1990-1994 seems to have aversion of the PC's learning curve, and simply prefer things they can play straight away. PC will never die of course, not when there are still people like us, independent game devs, and of course Steam. I just wish MS should make more attempts to educate people about PC instead of shoving insane security measures to mitigate people's 'stupidity' in using their computers, which instead makes computers harder to use.
#6grampamurkedPosted 12/29/2013 8:13:26 AM
Lol wut?
---
Xbox GT: Grampa Murked U Steam ID: grampamurkedu PSN ID: H8laggers
#7BirdRobot7553(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 8:15:37 AM
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/09/04/why-pc-gaming-has-exploded

This sight may be over stating a bit. But you can't deny the popularity of WoW, Steam, and even CoD and Battlefield. Console gamers are moving towards PC's for their entertainment.

Yeah in number of sales IOS and Android are on top. But when it comes to PC vs Console, Console is loosing.
---
The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles.
Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.
#8EciDemonPosted 12/29/2013 8:15:56 AM
it's not in decline, and the reason the consoles are "pc" like in hardware is a matter of cost. It's more effective to use existing architecture then to develop something new that drives up the costs, just look at the ps3 release.
I wouldn't say pc is in decline either. The mobile/tablet platforms won't take over any time soon with the flood shovel-ware games available with horrendous time and pay walls.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#9Bazooka_PenguinPosted 12/30/2013 11:07:44 PM
http://gaminrealm.com/2013/12/30/sony-79-chance-bankrupt-2-years/

It's happening guys. Sony's going to die, MS is going to sell off their Xbox division, and Nintendo is a zombie
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#10AsucaHayashiPosted 12/30/2013 11:13:27 PM
console gaming will never die as long as we have the steambox

!
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png