This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cloud vs a Hard Drive?

#1CGoblinsPosted 12/29/2013 8:19:31 AM
What's the difference between cloud and just picking up an external or something? I don't get the draw other than people think it's "THE CLOUD" and worship all that is marketing.

Is it that you can access data on multiple electronics even when not at home? I don't see many average people needing that, but everything is all about The Cloud.
---
PSN: Ray-Martin82 Nintendo Network ID: RayMartin
Playing: Monster Hunter U and League of Legends
#2Flaktrooper123Posted 12/29/2013 8:21:42 AM
Cloud is storage outside your home or office, which means you need an internet connection to access it at all. A local storage, like NAS, is of course local. It does not need to be connected to internet, but you probably can't access it from outside your home or office without certain requirements, though you always have access to the hardware itself.
#3ShubPosted 12/29/2013 8:22:09 AM
Oh you mean one of those "cloud" hard drives, not proper cloud storage?
Yes, the goal is to make your data accessible from the Internet.
It's a regular network-connected external hard drive that just happens to connect to the Internet and act as a server. So if you don't need those features, don't bother.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4EciDemonPosted 12/29/2013 8:23:17 AM
if you're looking for a large amount of storage for backups say a cloud service could potentially be cheaper.
else it's just nice to have access to files on the go.

I set up my own "cloud storage" via an external harddrive and the router. I can access from any computer and my cellphone when I'm not home.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |