This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How big a part does your router play in your broadband quality?

#1Sephiroth311Posted 12/29/2013 9:21:29 AM
If you want the absolute max speed isn't it all down to your provider? Will buying a high quality router/wireless receiver make much of a difference if your provider is poor?
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#2Incendia_IntusPosted 12/29/2013 9:25:20 AM
If the provider sucks, no. There probably won't be much difference. If your provider is decent/good, then it could have a fairly substantial impact.
---
All childish acts of aggression, shall be handled with laughter.
#3PhilOnDezPosted 12/29/2013 10:02:23 AM
As long as there's nothing wrong with it there's not a whole lot of difference between a $50 and $500 router for the average user. Hell, the best router I've ever owned cost me about $40, it blows the doors off of the $300 business grade router I have to use now. The $300 one is basically worthless as far as wifi goes honestly, and it's impossible to get support for it online, the online manuals are for firmware 1.0 and I'm not sure what revision it's up to now but it in no way resembles what 1.0 was. I just had to play with every setting that I didn't know what was to get port forwarding set up (This router refers to forwarding a port as creating a virtual server). The only thing I can get done is calling the company I'm leasing it from and having them replace it whenever it has a problem, and boy does it have problems, I'm on my 4th one now.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez