This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hows Spelunky?

#1refmonPosted 12/29/2013 11:57:30 AM
It doesn't look like anything special
---
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
#2battlfrnt2006Posted 12/29/2013 12:01:03 PM
It's very challenging and extremely addictive. I really like it. You basically are trying to make it to the end of the level without dying while collecting as much treasure as you can. All of the levels are randomly generated too, so it has a lot of replay value.
---
GT: CapraDaemon / PSN (Vita/PSP): mtllica / SteamID: falloutnut
Now Playing: Batman Arkham Origins, Ys Celceta, Killzone Mercenary, Forza 4
#3LoshadtPosted 12/29/2013 12:01:09 PM
It's a good game as long as you don't mind being trolled constantly, because Spelunky is worse than Hitler in that regard.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#4TropicMoon10Posted 12/29/2013 12:22:25 PM
I spent 12 hours on it so far and only made it to the temple. It's really hard and very unfair a lot of the time, but that contributes to its addictiveness for sure.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#5SteamsterPosted 12/29/2013 1:02:54 PM
Highly recommend it. It's far from not being "special."

TropicMoon10 posted...
I spent 12 hours on it so far and only made it to the temple. It's really hard and very unfair a lot of the time, but that contributes to its addictiveness for sure.

How is Spelunky unfair?

99% of the time when something goes wrong it's entirely your fault.
#6Marioface5Posted 12/29/2013 1:27:01 PM
Steamster posted...

How is Spelunky unfair?

Here's one example: If a boulder trap damages a shop the game acts as if you had personally bombed it even though that makes no sense and can happen without you even knowing about the shop's existence.

I can't remember for sure, but I also think there was once a time where I had a shopkeeper become aggressive to me because a random enemy attacked him. It's a good game overall, but there are some serious design issues that keep it from being as great as it could be.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#7CrayolaNinjaPosted 12/29/2013 1:31:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGrPeu5NWk0
---
The greatest love story ever told: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efTloIPzkkA
#8SteamsterPosted 12/29/2013 2:18:56 PM(edited)
Marioface5 posted...
Steamster posted...

How is Spelunky unfair?

Here's one example: If a boulder trap damages a shop the game acts as if you had personally bombed it even though that makes no sense and can happen without you even knowing about the shop's existence.

I can't remember for sure, but I also think there was once a time where I had a shopkeeper become aggressive to me because a random enemy attacked him. It's a good game overall, but there are some serious design issues that keep it from being as great as it could be.

That's why you don't get greedy over an idol when you're unsure about the location of shopkeepers.

Random enemies aggroing a shopkeeper falls under that 1% of BS.

Even then, you can learn to kill shopkeepers more effectively, considering it's usually a good idea to kill them anyway.

It's a game that doesn't give a f*** if you're bad at it. You either get good or get dead.

Marioface5 posted...
but there are some serious design issues that keep it from being as great as it could be.

And this is just scrub talk. Please, try to elaborate without being entirely wrong or basing it around personal preferences.. The game isn't perfect, but it's not that far from it.
#9PaukenPosted 12/29/2013 3:15:13 PM
Steamster posted...
Marioface5 posted...
Steamster posted...

How is Spelunky unfair?

That's why you don't get greedy over an idol when you're unsure about the location of shopkeepers.

Even then, you can learn to kill shopkeepers more effectively, considering it's usually a good idea to kill them anyway.

It's a game that doesn't give a f*** if you're bad at it. You either get good or get dead.

Marioface5 posted...
but there are some serious design issues that keep it from being as great as it could be.

And this is just scrub talk. Please, try to elaborate without being entirely wrong or basing it around personal preferences.. The game isn't perfect, but it's not that far from it.

Actually there are some major design flaws. Not with the game itself, but with the menus. It's PAINFUL how buggy the menus are...as an example, if you try to change the resolution, you can never exit the menu, since the dev forgot to put in a back button. I had to change resolution by editing a config file, that's how buggy the interface is. Also, if you change controls while in game, you might be unable to ever leave the menus without killing the Spelunky process.

It's sad that the Vita version, which was outsourced, is 1000 times more stable than the PC version. For that matter, Starbound's BETA is more stable than Spelunky PC...

Note that I'm not saying the game sucks, far from it. It's great, just bloody unstable. Be prepared to Ctrl-Alt-Delete and kill the Spelunky process fairly often.
#10ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/29/2013 3:22:58 PM
Steamster posted...
Marioface5 posted...
Steamster posted...

How is Spelunky unfair?

Marioface5 posted...

I like the game, but you're being a pathetic elitist fanboy.