This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Might and Magic Heroes VI, yay or nay?

#1KeeperofthedarkPosted 12/29/2013 1:04:28 PM
Yeah, another one of these topics. My apologies. Anyway, my question is basically the topic title. How is the game? It intrigued me because it kind of looks like King's Bounty, which I enjoyed a lot.
#2Arsene-LupinPosted 12/29/2013 1:05:50 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, TC. All of the most helpful Steam reviews are negative, but the vast majority of steam reviews (and critical reviews) are positive, so I'm thinking is probably a "yay."
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#3GyrospeckPosted 12/29/2013 2:26:02 PM
Not worth it for single player or online multiplayer, but it's very fun if you can play hotseat with a couple of friends.
#4Arsene-LupinPosted 12/29/2013 4:03:31 PM
Okay, I finally found some time to sit down and (briefly) play the demo. It has some issues, but has the potential to be a good game. I'm not sure whether or not the problems I had with the demo are present in the full game. Some of them (like missing sound effects) are likely not an issue, but I don't know about the others. Most of the criticism I've seen in reviews centers around various bugs and glitches.

-I couldn't see any of the "RTS" aspects--the "strategy map" portion didn't seem to have any options to construct new units.
-Adding new units to my army via encounters in the "strategy map" would NOT add those units to my army.
-There doesn't appear to be any way to heal units (at least that I could find in the demo).
-Tactical map (combat) is confusing. There's very little information presetned to the player, and combat can be inconsistent. For example, my crossbowman could sometimes attack twice in one turn, sometimes only once. Sometimes he could move multiple tiles AND attack, sometimes he could only move one tile (in one turn).

The damage system is also confusing, as there appear to be two different systems at play: damage and a separate HP damage. For example, you could deal "34" damage to an enemy, but that number is irrelevant, as that enemy may lose only 1 or 2 HP--or no HP at all.

So, yeah: I still don't know whether or not its worth buying. I've had HOMM3 on my GOG account for nearly a year now and never found the chance to play it. I think I'll give it a shot now, as most people seem to say it's hands-down the best in the series.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#5SteelWingKnightPosted 12/29/2013 4:05:38 PM
Heroes 3 and V are better...

If you buy Heroes V Tribes of the East theres a mod that lets you play the campaigns of the vanilla game and first expansion with it.
---
~I wish that this night time ~ Would last for a life time~
Now Playing: SWTOR (still), Pokemon X
#6Arsene-LupinPosted 12/29/2013 4:12:51 PM
Yeah, I just played a bit of HOMM3. Only a few minutes were enough to clue me in that it's a much better game. Only issue I have with it (other than the UI bits that haven't aged well) is that there's no HP indicator, so there's no way to tell how badly enemies have been injured.

HOMM6 still might be worth getting, though. At this point, though, I'd recommend HOMM3 over it if you can tolerate a sprite-based game from the before times. (Which actually feels much more "modern" than HOMM6).
---
#7JhayCeePosted 12/29/2013 6:29:29 PM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
Yeah, I just played a bit of HOMM3. Only a few minutes were enough to clue me in that it's a much better game. Only issue I have with it (other than the UI bits that haven't aged well) is that there's no HP indicator, so there's no way to tell how badly enemies have been injured.

HOMM6 still might be worth getting, though. At this point, though, I'd recommend HOMM3 over it if you can tolerate a sprite-based game from the before times. (Which actually feels much more "modern" than HOMM6).

I don't know if this is applies in HoMM 6, but in HoMM 3 you can hold the right mouse button over a unit to see how much health they have.
---
Religious Person: God loves us so much he gave us his only son.
Me: I know, man. I still can't believe Michael Jackson died.
#8biohazard1775Posted 12/29/2013 7:00:13 PM
SteelWingKnight posted...
Heroes 3 and V are better...

If you buy Heroes V Tribes of the East theres a mod that lets you play the campaigns of the vanilla game and first expansion with it.

Heh, just got these off of GOG.
---
http://i.imgur.com/AuuOUVo.png
#9RavenoussdPosted 12/29/2013 7:08:37 PM
ultimately no

basically the only strategy is head straight towards the towns and that makes for a very boring game
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFJoUBP54o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9J0ok18k_8
#10Arsene-LupinPosted 12/29/2013 8:11:59 PM
JhayCee: thank you.

Difficulty curve seems pretty sharp in HOMM3. First battle gave me a centaur and an elf bowman versus like 8 Medusas. Wiped me out handily.
---