This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to move Skyrim from my HDD to my SSD

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to move Skyrim from my HDD to my SSD

User Info: SkaterUB

SkaterUB
3 years ago#1
I have a lot of mods and want to move them to my SSD. I don't want to lose my save file either. What do I do to move it over?

Also, how can I play games from Origin off of my HDD so that I do not have to redownload them onto my SSD again and lose all of my save files?
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872

User Info: Th1rte3n

Th1rte3n
3 years ago#2
Copy/Paste
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S

User Info: Arsene-Lupin

Arsene-Lupin
3 years ago#3
Copy/Paste.
Then uninstall the game via steam.
Then re-install to whichever directory you pasted the game data.

Steam will then verify the installation, which can take a little bit of time.

(I'm not sure its worth it, however. I moved Skyrim to SSD last week, haven't noticed ANY change in performance).
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 years ago#4
I got skyrim on a 7200RPM drive and I notice all the load times take anywhere from 3-8secs MAX. Are you really that impatient about the load times in that game? They are by far from the worst.
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.

User Info: CatToy

CatToy
3 years ago#5
It can be worth it. Playing on an SSD will reduce stuttering with a bunch of large texture mods, it also substantially decreases load times. I remember when I moved Skyrim off my SSD, and tried running it on my hard drive, I legitimately thought something had gone wrong with how long it was taking to load my save.
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.

User Info: SkaterUB

SkaterUB
3 years ago#6
Fade2black001 posted...
I got skyrim on a 7200RPM drive and I notice all the load times take anywhere from 3-8secs MAX. Are you really that impatient about the load times in that game? They are by far from the worst.

With all the mods I have installed the load times are longer. How do I atleast keep my save file? I'm not very familiar with how to move around stuff on PC.
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872

User Info: su27Chaos

su27Chaos
3 years ago#7
http://lifehacker.com/5496652/how-to-use-symlinks-in-windows

Ignore that guy he thinks know how everyone works. lol

But for me I use symlinks. They look like shortcuts but they feel like real file or folder but in different location of the computer. I always move steam games back and fourth when I want to."

mklink /D "C:\xyx" "X:\xya"

xyx = source
xya = target

Example:
Example SSD is C: drive and X; Drive is where steam folder game install is.
What you do is move the skyrim folder to C:. Make sure there is no folder skyrim in steam folder
then

mklink /D "C:\skyrim" "X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim" *1

Don't forget the quotes because it's really part of the command. After that there should be a skyrim folder shortcut in steam folder. Test is out by clicking it. Should be have enter skyrim folder with X:\ address intact that's why it feels like physical folder but it's really in different location. Steams thinks it's really there.

Note*1: Depends where you install steam it could not program files just find Steam and then your all set. Also ignore *1 just for notes.
American products is good go buy them.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to move Skyrim from my HDD to my SSD

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived