This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to move Skyrim from my HDD to my SSD

#1SkaterUBPosted 12/29/2013 3:13:38 PM
I have a lot of mods and want to move them to my SSD. I don't want to lose my save file either. What do I do to move it over?

Also, how can I play games from Origin off of my HDD so that I do not have to redownload them onto my SSD again and lose all of my save files?
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872
#2ClouddxPosted 12/29/2013 3:14:02 PM
Copy/Paste
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#3Arsene-LupinPosted 12/29/2013 3:16:47 PM
Copy/Paste.
Then uninstall the game via steam.
Then re-install to whichever directory you pasted the game data.

Steam will then verify the installation, which can take a little bit of time.

(I'm not sure its worth it, however. I moved Skyrim to SSD last week, haven't noticed ANY change in performance).
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#4Fade2black001Posted 12/29/2013 3:20:47 PM
I got skyrim on a 7200RPM drive and I notice all the load times take anywhere from 3-8secs MAX. Are you really that impatient about the load times in that game? They are by far from the worst.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#5CatToyPosted 12/29/2013 3:23:48 PM
It can be worth it. Playing on an SSD will reduce stuttering with a bunch of large texture mods, it also substantially decreases load times. I remember when I moved Skyrim off my SSD, and tried running it on my hard drive, I legitimately thought something had gone wrong with how long it was taking to load my save.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#6SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 3:29:41 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
I got skyrim on a 7200RPM drive and I notice all the load times take anywhere from 3-8secs MAX. Are you really that impatient about the load times in that game? They are by far from the worst.

With all the mods I have installed the load times are longer. How do I atleast keep my save file? I'm not very familiar with how to move around stuff on PC.
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872
#7su27ChaosPosted 12/29/2013 4:01:52 PM(edited)
http://lifehacker.com/5496652/how-to-use-symlinks-in-windows

Ignore that guy he thinks know how everyone works. lol

But for me I use symlinks. They look like shortcuts but they feel like real file or folder but in different location of the computer. I always move steam games back and fourth when I want to."

mklink /D "C:\xyx" "X:\xya"

xyx = source
xya = target

Example:
Example SSD is C: drive and X; Drive is where steam folder game install is.
What you do is move the skyrim folder to C:. Make sure there is no folder skyrim in steam folder
then

mklink /D "C:\skyrim" "X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim" *1

Don't forget the quotes because it's really part of the command. After that there should be a skyrim folder shortcut in steam folder. Test is out by clicking it. Should be have enter skyrim folder with X:\ address intact that's why it feels like physical folder but it's really in different location. Steams thinks it's really there.

Note*1: Depends where you install steam it could not program files just find Steam and then your all set. Also ignore *1 just for notes.

---
American products is good go buy them.