This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Battlefield 4 Stutter

#1ShebeskiiPosted 12/29/2013 3:54:34 PM(edited)
Bought the game, it stutters. Mostly strange hitching.

2500k @ 4.5GHz
GTX 570 on the latest drivers
Windows 7 x64

Can't really think of what's causing it. It seems to be a bit better in borderless window mode, but it's still there.

I've tried the DX installer trick. It stopped the insane non stop stuttering that used to occur, but it still hitches and frame skips quite a bit.

I'm running a mixture of medium and high at 1080p. No MSAA.

I'll add that going all low does not change the behaviour, even a little bit.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#2godplaysSNESPosted 12/29/2013 3:55:46 PM
The word is that Windows 8/8.1 solves most of the stuttering problems for BF4

I know you're quite knowledgeable, but are you sure your CPU is stable? Few games are as brutal on the CPU as BF4
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#3Shebeskii(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 3:58:50 PM(edited)
godplaysSNES posted...
The word is that Windows 8/8.1 solves most of the stuttering problems for BF4

I know you're quite knowledgeable, but are you sure your CPU is stable? Few games are as brutal on the CPU as BF4

Pretty damn sure. I could reduce the clock and give it a shot. It is a very demanding game.

That's what I keep hearing. Essentially, instead of the game just running slower on Windows 7, DICE decided to not really program for it correctly. If that's the case I don't think I'll be buying another DICE game ever again.

Given the state this game is in I kind of hope EA gets sued by its shareholders. DICE kind of suck. They need to clean house and hire new people. Definitely one of the least talented big devs right now.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#4godplaysSNESPosted 12/29/2013 4:10:23 PM
Yeah, and I wonder how Dice could screw it up so much on Windows 7 (and Vista too I guess) when BF3 was solid.

No game studio in its right mind would make the performance in Windows 7 bad intentionally
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#5monkmithPosted 12/29/2013 4:39:08 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
Yeah, and I wonder how Dice could screw it up so much on Windows 7 (and Vista too I guess) when BF3 was solid.

No game studio in its right mind would make the performance in Windows 7 bad intentionally

dice/ea ****ed up across the board with battlefield 4, not just with the pc. i really hope this tanks their idea to turn the series into a yearly release thing.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#6JonWood007Posted 12/29/2013 4:57:29 PM(edited)
Core unparking seems to help slightly, but on the other hand, it also made my computer run a bit hotter, so idk if you wanna go that route. Also seemed to hurt performance in other games.

Also, to KINDA defend EA, they're not the only one messing up this colossally. Or have none of you played COD Ghosts, which is more more broken than BF4 is.

Next gen in general is a joke. Most of these "next gen" launch games have all kinds of technical issues and high requirements. It's not an issue limited to BF4 at all. Ghosts has its own issues, driver crashing, mouse acceleration, stuttering, frame drops, etc. NFS Rivals is locked at 30 FPS. Watch Dogs supposedly has high requirements, making a Q8400 with a 460 the MINIMUM to run it. Metal Gear Rising apparently requires an i5 2400 just to play.

Taking the big picture into consideration, I think Dice did a decent job on BF4. It has stuttering issues, yeah, but it runs a good 20 FPS better than the joke of a beta. The problem is I have yet to see a GOOD next gen PC port. All I'm seeing are grossly inflated requirements to produce 2011 level visuals.

Anyway, back on topic. I heard Windows 8 gets rid of a lot of issues, but I get mixed reports on that. Also, I notice you have a 500 series card like me. I wonder if that has something to do with it, although I doubt it since I seem severely CPU bottlenecked and turning things up to ultra gives me roughly the same FPS as on low.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#7Orestes417Posted 12/29/2013 5:02:49 PM
Might want to throw some blame at MS for half assing the the multithreading scheduler.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#8DragnfyrPosted 12/29/2013 5:08:47 PM
How much RAM do you have? 4GB isn't enough for BF4 + open browser.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#9killkountPosted 12/29/2013 5:26:12 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
How much RAM do you have? 4GB isn't enough for BF4 + open browser.

Wasn't even enough for BF3.
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#10_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 12/29/2013 5:33:36 PM
There are just so many freaking things it can be with this game.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H