This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

[Haswell] Plan on overclocking eventually. Want to know how far I can go. Tips?

#1TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 12/29/2013 4:43:30 PM
Here are my specs:
i5-4670K, currently at stock
Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
Hyper 212 EVO
OCZ ZT Series 650W
Fractal Design Define R4, stock fans (1 in front, 1 in back)

I'm currently doing a Prime95 test, just to see what I get at stock settings. Two hours in and the max temperature recorded is 58C. The current, real-time temperatures are hovering around 52C (using HWMonitor). With this information and my specs, I'm just wondering what a comfortable clock I can reach is. Not looking to push any boundaries. I don't want to exceed 75C when playing games. Also looking for any other overclocking advice.
---
Steam: Sydite
#2KavenryPosted 12/29/2013 4:45:50 PM
linpack is better in every single way than Prime
---
"the sun does not have no prisoners"
#3MasterDonGeroPosted 12/29/2013 4:46:38 PM
There's no way to tell how far you can go unless you try. Every chip is different.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#4TheC0ndemnedOne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 4:54:13 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
There's no way to tell how far you can go unless you try. Every chip is different.

I tried a really sloppy overclock to 4.3 GHz (couldn't figure out how to navigate around the UEFI too well so I did a really primitive Voltage boost and raised the multiplier; didn't fine-tune anything). Temps jumped up to 83C+ after an hour of Prime95. I figured it would still be okay in games so I rolled with it for a while, but it kept crashing The Witcher 2 so I reset it.
---
#5ClouddxPosted 12/29/2013 4:56:54 PM
Gotta make sure you adjust the voltage accordingly or you will get crashes in demanding games. Also Prime95 isn't the best thing for CPU stress test; it's mostly used to test RAM. So get Intel Burn Test and put that on the highest settings and let it run at least 10 times.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#6urtvPosted 12/29/2013 5:04:12 PM
http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide
#7TheC0ndemnedOne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 5:08:08 PM(edited)
Clouddx posted...
Gotta make sure you adjust the voltage accordingly or you will get crashes in demanding games. Also Prime95 isn't the best thing for CPU stress test; it's mostly used to test RAM. So get Intel Burn Test and put that on the highest settings and let it run at least 10 times.

Gotcha. So can crashes from improper voltage be from it being too high, too low, or both? I think I had it set at 1.23V. And what exactly happens when the voltage is either? I suspect that too high makes the temperatures higher than what they should be, but what about too low? I'm guessing the temperatures would be fine, but the stability wouldn't?

Also, do I really only need to worry about fine-tuning the multiplier and voltage, or are there any other handy settings I should mess around with (particularly for my motherboard, the Gigabyte UD3H)? I remember watching one of Linus's videos in which he used an Asus motherboard and enabled some stuff like "Adaptive" voltage. Might have toyed with the fan settings a little, too. I tried looking around my UEFI but it seemed like it was hard to find stuff, and when I did find the names of settings that seemed like they might be useful, clicking on them to get more information did nothing.
---
#8TheC0ndemnedOne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 5:06:14 PM
urtv posted...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

I tried following this as well and the instructions weren't detailed enough for me. It seems like it's more for people who already know their way around the UEFI, since there would be a step that would say "go to X", but wouldn't say how. I guess I need to brush up on my motherboard's manual?
---