This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions about internet connection and router

#1psprulz2007Posted 12/29/2013 6:01:23 PM
Lately ive been having issues with my internet. Parts of the day it works all fine and dandy. Other parts of the day its utter poop. I end up restarting my router (wireless) every other day.

I use the internet for 4 things. My laptop for internet usage. My Xbox 360 for Netflix my PS4 for gaming and my cell for facebook checking. Not all 4 things will be connected at the same time but on occasion it might happen.

Tonight however seems to be a bad night. I cannot even get Call of Duty Ghost (yuck) on 360 to even let me connect. Due to my moderate nat type. Sometimes I have open or nat type 2 but it seems more often then not its moderate. Resetting my router works for a short while then its back to the same thing.

Over the last year since Ive had the router Ive had quite a few devices connect to the router. Even a few people discover my password.

So my questions are this. What can I do to fully restart or reset my router? Would it be possible to wipe off every connection that currently is or ever was connected, reset my password and start form scratch?

Would these old now unused devices affect my connection?

Thanks
---
GT/PSN- Feelinkorny
Help save a life www.twitch.tv/feelinkorny
#2Inferno700Posted 12/29/2013 6:07:05 PM
To answer your question at the end... Did you try the rest button?
---
NNID: Jesus_Is_God 3DS FC: 3952-8112-9436
Steam ID: Inferno700
#3psprulz2007(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 6:08:59 PM
I have not tried the reset button as Im unaware of what will follow. Its near late night and I open in the morning so I don't want to randomly push that red button screw something up and have my family go cave man style till I get home from work tomorrow afternoon.

But if I know what would happen then Id be happy to try.
---
GT/PSN- Feelinkorny
#4LordSeiferPosted 12/29/2013 6:09:43 PM
just changing the password should be enough, but yes there is a button to do that

if its time of day, then its probably your ISP and not your router, but best to start with the things you can control first
---
^ this
#5LordSeiferPosted 12/29/2013 6:11:28 PM(edited)
its gonna reset (remove)your password and start from scratch, revert any settings you may have changed.
exactly what you think
---
^ this
#6Inferno700Posted 12/29/2013 6:15:51 PM
psprulz2007 posted...
I have not tried the reset button as Im unaware of what will follow. Its near late night and I open in the morning so I don't want to randomly push that red button screw something up and have my family go cave man style till I get home from work tomorrow afternoon.

But if I know what would happen then Id be happy to try.

Hold off on the button for now then. It is a factory reset that will require you to reconfigure the router before anyone can connect to it. Someone else posted it could be your isp. I would probably check with them first really. I had a bad router (top smashed in) that worked somewhat. I had to reset it almost weekly. I thought one day it was having problems beyond normal and it turned out to be they were working on the lines nearby. I replaced said router as a side note.
---
NNID: Jesus_Is_God 3DS FC: 3952-8112-9436
Steam ID: Inferno700
#7psprulz2007(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 6:26:12 PM(edited)
Im going to wait on pushing the red button till tomorrow so that if issues arise I can get customer service. But the reason I ask if old devices affect it or not is because when I go into

in my web browser and log in it says I have 11 devices connected. But within my own home I can only count 4 devices that can even access internet.

The page network status that has all the devices connected gives me options like delete all devices or I can go to each device individually and block websites/block internet access ect ect.

If I was to just change my password and make my signal name hidden. then delete all devices. All id have to do is with my own 4 devices is type in my "hidden" signal and type in password and be good to go? Would this even help my situation? Or would it be pointless?

*edit*
also it lists my security type as WPA. But I can switch it to WPA2 or 802.1x WEP. Would do this help secure my signal?
---
GT/PSN- Feelinkorny
#8LordSeiferPosted 12/29/2013 6:25:04 PM(edited)
if your situation is someone stealing your wifi then yes you would notice an immediate change

but that is not likely going to be your situation

but its gonna take what 5 minutes? so go for it. change password. no point hiding the ssid really.
---
^ this