This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone know of any not-s*** laptops at or under $400?

#1halomonkey1_3_5Posted 12/29/2013 7:52:29 PM(edited)
I'm obviously not looking for anything amazing, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any specific ones that are good, or if you know of any good sales that put a decent laptop close to that price? Touch screens are good, but so far the best things with touchscreens in my budget are the baytrail based tablets >.>

Also, by "not-s***" I mean build-quality not specs. Obviously atom/celeron/Pentium laptops suck ass for anything but word processing/web browsing.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#2WyzeGyePosted 12/29/2013 7:50:25 PM
nope... non-s*** laptops start at around 470 bucks.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#3PhilOnDezPosted 12/29/2013 8:04:33 PM
Pentiums aren't actually that bad, depending on what you're wanting to do with it. I wouldn't recommend one for gaming at this point unless your gaming needs consisted solely of Minecraft and an MMO or two though. For the price though, it's nearly impossible to beat their performance/$.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#4TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 12/29/2013 8:14:48 PM(edited)
You'll probably have to get a refurbished one for <$400. My friend got a nice Asus K55 for $400 or a little under. Ivy Bridge i5. That was on Newegg. They're discontinued now, but refurb laptops are always around.
---
Steam: Sydite
#5halomonkey1_3_5(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 8:13:28 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
Pentiums aren't actually that bad, depending on what you're wanting to do with it. I wouldn't recommend one for gaming at this point unless your gaming needs consisted solely of Minecraft and an MMO or two though. For the price though, it's nearly impossible to beat their performance/$.

Well, actually, all I need in a new laptop/tablet is for it to run TF2 and World of Warcraft at playable framerates. For comparison, I currently have an old Core 2 Duo(cant remember the exact one, but its like 1.4GHz or similar) laptop with a 256MB 8400M GS and 2GB of RAM, so Im looking for something that can best that(which shouldnt be hard).
---
The Greatest
#6PhilOnDezPosted 12/29/2013 8:21:12 PM(edited)
My brother just got back into WoW and I was surprised at how well his laptop ran it. We got it for him for his birthday 2 years ago for $450-ish I think. I'll get him to let me check and see what CPU he has, he was getting a really steady 30 FPS at 720p but I'm not sure how it would do in raids. I'll go to Org/Stormwind and see what happens. He's not home though so it'll be a while before I can check.

E: I will say that I saw an i3 laptop at walmart today for $380, it had an i3 3227u, 1.9ghz dual core IB with the HD4000. If it had had an i5 I would say go for that though I'm hesitant to recommend a mobile i3 for WoW.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
#7halomonkey1_3_5(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 8:29:08 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
My brother just got back into WoW and I was surprised at how well his laptop ran it. We got it for him for his birthday 2 years ago for $450-ish I think. I'll get him to let me check and see what CPU he has, he was getting a really steady 30 FPS at 720p but I'm not sure how it would do in raids. I'll go to Org/Stormwind and see what happens. He's not home though so it'll be a while before I can check.

That would be very much appreciated.

PhilOnDez posted...
E: I will say that I saw an i3 laptop at walmart today for $380, it had an i3 3227u, 1.9ghz dual core IB with the HD4000. If it had had an i5 I would say go for that though I'm hesitant to recommend a mobile i3 for WoW.

Well I wouldnt think it would run it any worse than a bay trail atom or a celeron/pentium would >.>.
---
The Greatest
#8halomonkey1_3_5(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 9:36:54 PM
Well, this is probably what Im going to settle on:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-touch-screen-laptop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-silver-aluminum/2749027.p?id=1219077152619&skuId=2749027

only thing that concerns me is that if you google the model number, the only reputable link that pops up is that listing on bestbuy.com. All the others look like spam and dont have any useful information. While I would imagine Best Buy is selling a legit laptop, I'd like to be able to get some kind of information about battery life(looking at similar models and reviews, 4-5 hours seems to be the average, though obviously i'd like to have more than that to go on).
---
The Greatest
#9PhilOnDezPosted 12/29/2013 10:12:47 PM
How strict is your budget? If you can swing another $88 this will be a big upgrade over the one you linked. It's got a Haswell i5 that will boost to 2.6ghz and the HD4400 vs the HD4000 of the other.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DDFESKC/

If your budget is set in stone I'm sure the other will be fine, I know I played WoW on worse for a long, long time. Not familiar with TF2 at all but it runs on the 360 and the HD4000 is a good bit more powerful than that.
---
#10halomonkey1_3_5(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 10:22:25 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
How strict is your budget? If you can swing another $88 this will be a big upgrade over the one you linked. It's got a Haswell i5 that will boost to 2.6ghz and the HD4400 vs the HD4000 of the other.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DDFESKC/

If your budget is set in stone I'm sure the other will be fine, I know I played WoW on worse for a long, long time. Not familiar with TF2 at all but it runs on the 360 and the HD4000 is a good bit more powerful than that.

unfortunately my budget is pretty set in stone(and I actually originally only had $350, but I managed to scrounge up enough to go to $400 >.<). Regardless, I have a gaming desktop, so I dont need something too powerful in a laptop. Just something that can play WoW/TF2 while im away, since I frequently stay with some elderly relatives and I cant easily move a full tower desktop, monitor, etc every time I go away for a few days.
---
The Greatest