This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do the Wizardry games (6+7+8) compare to Legend of Grimrock?

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 12/29/2013 7:08:09 PM
Grimrock was the very first game of this nature I'd every played (outside of JRPGs like MegaTen and Etrian Odyssey), and I absolutely loved it. I've easily spent at least four times as much time with Grimrock than with any other indy title.

I know the Wizardry games are the... originators of the genre, or at least the "defining" games (so much so that they're often called "Wizardry-like") and I know for some of the interviews I've translated that they were the direct inspiration for the Etrian Odyssey games, for example... but that's very much "history." How do the later Wizardry games--specifically 6, 7, and 8 which are currently bundled together in a Flash Sale for $2.24 USD)--compare to more modern takes on the genre like Grimrock?

For $2.24 they're obviously worth buying, and I'll probably buy 'em right after posting this thread, but I'd still like to get a conversation started because who knows when I'll get a chance to play the games (gotta know whether or not to prioritize) and I'm sure there are plenty of fellow gamers here who may feel the need to get this kind of question answered BEFORE buying.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2Crimson_JesusPosted 12/29/2013 7:11:31 PM
I never played 6 or 7, but Wizardy 8 is leagues better than Grimrock.
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg
#3Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 7:14:51 PM
Ooh, now you've got me all excited.

I assume there's no need to play 6 or 7 first. I'll jump straight into 8. :D
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#4-5xad0w-Posted 12/29/2013 7:19:08 PM
Actually, you can import characters from 6 to 7 and then to 8. The game even takes into account the endings you got to change how the next game starts. So there is some precedent to playing all 3.

They are serious DOS era PC RPG's though and not for everyone.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#5ciraMegaSPosted 12/29/2013 7:20:30 PM
Wizardry 8 actually has a story and you can travel around. Grimrock is just a dusty old dungeon crawler.
---
Black
#6Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 7:24:57 PM
-5xad0w- posted...
Actually, you can import characters from 6 to 7 and then to 8. The game even takes into account the endings you got to change how the next game starts. So there is some precedent to playing all 3.

Look pretty good for DOS.

And easier to get into than Ultima. Been trying get into Ultimat VII for a while now, but that UI is not pleasant.
---
#7RPGMattPosted 12/30/2013 1:50:54 AM
Wizardry 8 is leagues better than Grimrock.
---
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe
#8Hi CPosted 12/30/2013 3:11:49 AM
RPGMatt posted...
Wizardry 8 is leagues better than Grimrock.

This. It's elite tier CRPG and one of the last defining games of the platform.

W8 is what happens when a developer actually wants to make a good game at all cost and actually knows how to make it "modernized" without dumbing it down at the same time.

It was also in development hell for several years and only came out because they developer secured in game advertising and an exclusive distribution deal with Electronics Boutique.
---
You'll be my John G.
#9-5xad0w-Posted 12/30/2013 4:10:48 AM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
-5xad0w- posted...

And easier to get into than Ultima. Been trying get into Ultimat VII for a while now, but that UI is not pleasant.

7 & 8 perhaps, but 6's palette reminds me of the old Goldbox games.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#10Chaos_MissilePosted 12/30/2013 4:50:09 AM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
-5xad0w- posted...

8 isnt.
I remember reading a new review about it way back in 2001- 2002.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008