This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What should I upgrade next, CPU or GPU?

#1FF4Fan1313Posted 12/29/2013 8:13:26 PM
I'm running:
Dual Core Sandy Bridge Pentium at 2.9 GHz (G850)
GTX 650 Ti w/1GB of memory

Which should I upgrade next? And if I should upgrade the CPU, should I jump to Haswell or stick with Ivy Bridge? I would have to buy a new mobo and OS obviously if I went Haswell, but my current mobo doesn't have a PCI Express 3.0 so later GPUs wouldn't be bottlenecked by 2.0 slot if I upgraded.

Also, when should I make the jump from 4 gigs of memory to 8 gigs?

Thanks for any advice!
Pokemon X all the way! FC: 1289-8295-6671
Trust in Silence. Wait in Calm. Do not be Afraid.
#2Flaktrooper123Posted 12/29/2013 8:21:43 PM
The CPU obviously, you probably need a new motherboard as well.
#3VIP86Posted 12/29/2013 8:28:12 PM
If you feel like you aren't getting what you want, then upgrade the GPU, and wait a year or two, and upgrade your CPU.
#4killkountPosted 12/29/2013 8:30:54 PM
dual core? whaaaaaat?? upgrade that.
#5JonWood007Posted 12/30/2013 12:04:46 AM
CPU. That's pretty low end. You should have at least a phenom II X4 955 / Athlon II X4 750 / A10 5800k / i3 2100 for a CPU nowadays. Ideally, you'll want an FX 8 core or an i5/i7.

650 is still a decent card. You'll run new games around mediumish with something like that.
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#6thegreatsquarePosted 12/30/2013 5:53:55 AM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
The CPU obviously, you probably need a new motherboard as well.

He can just move to the i5 3xxx and it should be fine. The mobo may need a BIOS update, but it the same LGA1155 socket.

And I'd move to 8GB now too. If your mobo has 4 DIMM slots, I would get 2x4GB and run all 4 sticks for 12GB total.
ASUS G73jh i7 720/Mobility HD 5870/6GB DDR3 1404MHz/Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HDD
#7ShadowGomamonPosted 12/30/2013 6:05:20 AM
CPU for sure. Noah used a dual core when he was drawing up blueprints for the Ark.
#8SnadadosPosted 12/30/2013 9:03:47 AM
If you do a CPU upgrade now you can keep staggering your upgrade cycle a little longer between GPU and CPU.

You'll likely see more of an improvement from a GPU upgrade right now but if you upgrade your GPU now, when it comes time for an upgrade later it'll likely be time for both a GPU and CPU upgrade and the double hit to the wallet can be harder to take.

An Ivy Bridge i5 or i7 are still very good and Haswell chips are only a little better then their respective counter parts.
If you get a CPU I'd just put an Ivy Bridge i5 or i7 into your current motherboard as it doesn't look like GPUs are going to out grow PCI-E 2.0 for a while still.
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#9doctoglethorpePosted 12/30/2013 9:07:38 AM
Yee, CPU. Go to 8 gigs of RAM too.
#10FF4Fan1313(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2013 12:33:38 PM
CPU it is, that's what I thought. Don't tease my little dual core though, sandy bridge ripped through (then) new games like a beast. I'll also grab more RAM if I have the cash.

Thanks for all your advice.
Pokemon X all the way! FC: 1289-8295-6671
Trust in Silence. Wait in Calm. Do not be Afraid.