This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a difference in performance between a atx and micro atx?

#1SophaerLamPosted 12/30/2013 2:12:54 AM
If you want to build a PC for gaming and what is the main type of mobo and why choose one over the other? Thanks in advance for your response.
#2WyzeGyePosted 12/30/2013 2:13:53 AM
Pick your case first, then match the mobo to fit. Nothing more to it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#3thegreatsquarePosted 12/30/2013 2:41:14 AM(edited)
There can be some difference in performance due to choice of mobo. but the difference is negligible at high gaming resolutions. Better to look at reliability of brand, which at the moment is Gigabyte #1 and ASUS #2. After that, the next thing to look at would be memory support. If there was one supporting 2133-2400 in your budget, I'd consider it a bit more.

...plus, what WyzeGye said.
---
ASUS G73jh i7 720/Mobility HD 5870/6GB DDR3 1404MHz/Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HDD
#4daemon_danPosted 12/30/2013 2:52:30 AM
Eh, basically comes down to PCI-e bandwidth in relation to gaming, and that only really matters if you're running multiple cards.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#5betatechPosted 12/30/2013 2:52:56 AM
The main difference is size although ATX cases should be compatible with micro ATX.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#6reincarnator07Posted 12/30/2013 4:48:28 AM
Yes, but that's because many micro ATX mobos are cheaper to begin with. Beyond size and expansion options, there should be no difference between 2 equivalent boards.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#7Killah PriestPosted 12/30/2013 8:31:57 AM
Size, features, sata ports, usb ports, fan headers, ram slots, pci-e slots.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#8PhilOnDezPosted 12/30/2013 9:22:16 AM
Linus made a video about this for Z87 boards in particular. He put a sabertooth up against the cheapest mITX mobo he could find. With what was otherwise the same setup there was at most a 1FPS difference in the games he tested which is barely even margin of error territory if you aren't running the same test multiple times.

He did say that the high end board would likely overclock better but as long as the smaller board had every feature you need (enough ram/pci slots, xfire/SLI support, sata ports etc etc) you would be fine going with the smaller board if you wanted to.

As has been mentioned above, the biggest differences are that bigger mobos tend to space the components out which can make assembly easier and they tend to have more expansion slots in case you want to run trifire/triSLI.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez