This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gonna have $300 for a tablet for school. Is Nexus 7 32GB my best bet?

#1superstud69xPosted 12/30/2013 3:26:43 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231152

I was thinking that. Should be good enough for the following, right?

- School, AKA Textbooks on it
- Web browsing, primarily videos
- Light gaming (like PVZ2)
- General movie/tv show watching (transferred from PC or NF/Hulu)
- General reading (including stuff like comics)

So, is that my best choice, or is there something better out there? I would ask on the Electronics board, but you guys are more active, and as far as I know, more helpful.
---
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
#2WyzeGyePosted 12/30/2013 3:29:09 AM
yes.

Get the Cellular Data enabled model direct from google. You have no idea how handy it will become for you.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#3daemon_danPosted 12/30/2013 3:29:55 AM
I think that the Kindke Fire HDX 7 inch is actually cheaper (don't quote me on that), but it DOES have the fastest processor currently available on a 7 inch tablet, and Amazon's app store is more robust with actual tablet focused apps. Nexus, I believe, uses google play and maybe android. Google play hasn't had the time to mature and android is still mostly geared toward smartphone apps
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#4superstud69x(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2013 3:31:01 AM
How much more is that one? And what's the monthly charge? I don't have a smartphone at the moment, and don't really need most of the functions offered (i.e. constant Twitter/FB/Vimeo updating, etc.).
---
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
#5WyzeGyePosted 12/30/2013 3:35:28 AM
you don't need a monthly plan. once you do get a smart phone, it's as simple as moving the sim card from the phone to the tablet.

It's only about 50 dollars more. May even be the same price as a resellers wifi only model.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#6superstud69x(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2013 4:01:52 AM
Hmmm, the Kindle Fire HDX is looking pretty good actually. Now I'm conflicted. Good thing I have until mid-January to decide.
---
#7r7gerrabbitPosted 12/30/2013 6:11:45 AM
Windows 8 tablets are the best tablets on the market right now. Cough up an extra $50 for an Asus T100.

Both Android and iOS tablets are a joke. Media consumption devices and nothing more.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#8SUPER3METROIDXPosted 12/30/2013 6:13:54 AM
The kindle HDX isn't stronger enough to justify being limited to amazon content. The software is atrocious in comparison to stock android with all the google content there. And the kindle is incredibly locked down so you won't be able to just flash a rom either. nexus 7 is more enjoyable to use.
#9uncleePosted 12/30/2013 6:14:53 AM
r7gerrabbit posted...
Windows 8 tablets are the best tablets on the market right now. Cough up an extra $50 for an Asus T100.

Both Android and iOS tablets are a joke. Media consumption devices and nothing more.

^This. Though Windows 8 may not be the greatest desktop OS, it's an absolutely fantastic tablet OS.
#10NicodimusPosted 12/30/2013 6:35:49 AM
Nexus 7 is nice, but it has what is a fatal flaw for me: no expandable memory. I will never support a tablet that doesn't let me use some kind of memory card.

I ended up getting the Nook HD and then loading Cyanogenmod 10.2 on it to make it a standard Android tablet. It's cheap and the screen is still pretty nice (1440 X 900 on a 7" screen looks fairly sharp.) Also threw in a 64gb microSD card which I load with movies and music.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64